Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kingston 2GB RAM stick only showing up 1GB?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
brib1988

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Kingston 2GB RAM stick only showing up 1GB? Reply with quote

hi i recently purchased a computer tower from a friend and when i checked it i found that it only had 512mb RAM installed on it so i went to shop and gave them the details of the RAM and asked to purchase a 2GB stick, when i got it home i put it in my computer and checked that everything was working. When i checked it was only showing up as 1.5GB RAM installed on system when there was actually 2.5GB installed, iv asked the guy at shop i bought it off and he was not much help, so i rang another guy with specs of old RAM and new one which from what i can see are the same and he said that the Kingston stick is a missmatch for my system???? My RAM is DDR2 PC2- 4200, speed is 533 and its a Pentium 4 packard bell tower. Can some one help?

Thank You in advance.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful to know the model number of the desktop. It sounds like you have been sold either faulty RAM, or the incorrect size.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
brib1988

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi the model number is ISTART 1359 and iv spoke to Kingston and they said they do not make RAM compatible with that system anymore or along the line of that.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on the Packard Bell website, the system only supports a maximum of 2GB, and there are 2 slots. So I imagine that's a maximum of 1GB per slot, hence why the system only recognises 1GB of the 2GB stick.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: