Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LAN Problems - need help ASAP

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Dnallov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: LAN Problems - need help ASAP Reply with quote

First of all here is my situation - My old PC was getting old so I decided it's time to get a new PC - but to save money I built my own. I'm fairly good with PC's so I gave it a go on my own. I decided to use a foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H motherboard with Intel 6600 Core duo processor. Once put together everything seemed fine but then I discovered I had a big problem: -
On my last computer I had a Netgear wireless router which worked fine, but when connected it to the LAN supplied on the motherboard on the new computer (which is GbE LAN,Marvell 88E8056 (PCIe)) it just won't work. The computer detects that is connected to the router and the router detects that it is connected to the PC but the computer just stats 'little or no connectivity'. This never happened on my last computer. I thought that to save time I'll just get a LAN PCI card (which is a LC101 Sweex LAN PCI Card Gigabit), BUT when I insert the card and install the drivers supplied on the cd the PC won't detect the card. I thought that this maybe due to the fact the LAN on the motherboard was still installed so I removed it's drivers and started in installing the drivers for the new LAN. This didn't work but I noticed that by installing the drivers for the new LAN the computer reinstalled the drivers for the LAN on the motherboard!?!?!?!?! Is this because the computer is mistaking the new LAN for the one on the motherboard?

Please help on getting my new LAN up and running OR the old LAN up and running - as long as I have got a LAN.

Thanks

JV
street1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is one of these pictures your BIOS?

Hello,I am PeckerWood.LOL

Please accept my apologies for the bad site name Elite B@@@@@ds.
Again this is the only picture I found of your BIOS.I did not mean in
any way to disrespect the forum,guests,or any members. Embarassed

Robert
The Forum King.

Last edited by street1 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dnallov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my BIOS
street1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the PCIE Spread Spectrum Enabled in BIOS instead of
disabled?
The Forum King.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like the router is not configured to automatically assign IP addresses (DHCP). You may need to either enable DHCP on the router, or manually configure your LAN connection on your PC.

Another option is that the router is set to only allow specific MAC addresses to gain access, if this is the case, you will need to configure your router to allow the MAC address of the card you are using on your new PC.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Dnallov

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the help so far - My PCI Spread Spectrum was disabled - I enalbeled it but it didn't help.
SoftStag - How can I do this - I did reset the Router (would this have done what you are talking about).

I like to say that when I connect an Ethernet cable to my xbox 360 (through the LAN on the MOBO) nothing happens (the Xbox doesn't detect nothing). When I connect anything on the mobo LAN the lights will flash but the computer screen just stats 'limited or no connection'. Also with my new LAN when I install the drivers it does not apper on network connections. When I first put the new LAN card in the computer did not come up with the 'found new software' message (I did try a different PCI slot) but I installed the drivers with the CD and it seemed to work but still didn't come up on the network connections. I like to point out that when I connect the Ethernet cable to the MOBO LAN and double click when it comes up with 'limited or no connection' and then click on 'more info' and then 'Details' it comes up with: -

Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
IP Address: 169.254.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

Thanks for the help so far guys - hope I can get up and running soon
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's odd that the physical (MAC) address is 00-00-00-00-00-00. That concerns me a little, and could well be the route of the problem.

Try going in to Device Manager, find your network card and double click on it. If you go to the Advanced tab, there should be a setting for NetworkAddress. If there is an option to select Not Present, select this. If there is not, or it is already selected, go to enter a value. If there is something there other than 00-00-00-00-00-00, then that's fine. Otherwise try entering 01-03-0D-15-17-19 (this is a random one I made up of the correct format). Now click OK for everything and see if it connects.

If this doesn't work, do you know what your router's IP address is? Do you have another PC that works with the router, if so what are the network settings on that (same as you just posted for this one).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Dnallov

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORTED IT Very Happy Very Happy - What I did is went to command prompt typed 'GETMAC' and it gave three MAC numbers. One of them was '00 00 00 00 00 0' which i figured was the one I've got. So I knew to use one of the other two. I went 'LAN connection>properties>configure>advanced>network address entered one o the other two numbers. Rebooted - Run the router setup and Hallelujah! It worked! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks to all of you that helped - especially SoftStag who gave me the idea to do what I did.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I'm pleased you got it working again. The PC needs a MAC address to work on the network, so that explains it.

{topic locked}
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: