Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language versions for W98 mass storage device
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: language versions for W98 mass storage device Reply with quote

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

That USB mass storage device driver for W98SE sounds like a brilliant thing.
But it only works for English language and a few others. Is it possible at all to adapt it for a local version (Dutch, in my case)?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is yes. However it requires obtaining the correct files for your language of Windows and rebuilding the exe file.

If you download the English version of the file, then extract it using a program such as WinRar, you will then need to replace the following files with the Dutch version:
Arrow explorer.exe - version 4.72.3612.1700
Arrow hotplug.dll - version 4.10.0.2224
Arrow systray.exe - version 4.10.0.2224
Arrow advpack.dll - version 4.72.3612.1700
Arrow qfecheck.exe - version 4.10.0.1998
Arrow qfecheck.hlp
Arrow user.exe - version 4.10.0.2231

Once done, repack as a Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor as the original and if you get it all right, you will have a Dutch version! Very Happy
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks. These files, I presume, are all part of W98SE?
I hope I have the right versions then.

I will see what I can do! If it works, I'll be sure to get back to you.

I wonder exactly how many usb drives it supports. Did you get many reactions about this driver?
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast, I messed up with the hotplug.dll file. Painful.

Now I get an error message about mprexe and mstask. Can't get in the system anymore... I replaced these files in windows with the same files from another w98 se, but that did not make any difference.

Eh... any clue what I could do to get the system bootable again?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! You did back everything up first didn't you? Im Wif Stupid

I do admire your courage!

OK, some of the files you needed are part of the Microsoft Update for 1394 Storage Peripherals. This includes the correct version of files hotplug.dll, and systray.exe. The correct version of user.exe is in Q291362; however this is not available for public download, you need to request from Microsoft. It is essential you are using the correct versions of the files as I detailed, otherwise it isn't going to work.

OK, so how to get you out of where you are.... I assume you didn't backup the files you were changing???? Probably too much to ask!

Hopefully your install of Windows is not too modified from a virgin install (at least from before you attempted this). You will need a Windows 98 boot disk with CDROM Support, and the original Windows 98 CD. Put both in appropriate drives and reboot, starting with CDROM support.

Once at the DOS prompt, you will need to rename the files the files explorer.exe, user.exe and systray.exe to whatever.old. The first file is in the C:\Windows directory, the other two are in C:\Windows\System. Now use the extract command to extract the original files from the Windows CD, the command format is:
Arrow extract /a <cabinet> <filename> /l <destination>

Let me know how you get on with this.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiny Norman wrote:
I wonder exactly how many usb drives it supports. Did you get many reactions about this driver?

It supports almost all USB Mass Storage devices. Some happy people here and here.

OK, so one or two people report problems, usually because they managed to install the English version on a different language of Windows! Bearing in mind there are literally hundreds of downloads a day, there are few problems at all. If you don't believe me, just read through this forum. Very Happy
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Ouch! You did back everything up first didn't you? Im Wif Stupid

I do admire your courage!

OK, some of the files you needed are part of the Microsoft Update for 1394 Storage Peripherals. This includes the correct version of files hotplug.dll, and systray.exe. The correct version of user.exe is in Q291362; however this is not available for public download, you need to request from Microsoft. It is essential you are using the correct versions of the files as I detailed, otherwise it isn't going to work.

OK, so how to get you out of where you are.... I assume you didn't backup the files you were changing???? Probably too much to ask!

Hopefully your install of Windows is not too modified from a virgin install (at least from before you attempted this). You will need a Windows 98 boot disk with CDROM Support, and the original Windows 98 CD. Put both in appropriate drives and reboot, starting with CDROM support.

Once at the DOS prompt, you will need to rename the files the files explorer.exe, user.exe and systray.exe to whatever.old. The first file is in the C:\Windows directory, the other two are in C:\Windows\System. Now use the extract command to extract the original files from the Windows CD, the command format is:
Arrow extract /a <cabinet> <filename> /l <destination>

Let me know how you get on with this.

Well, it was a test system... but still, I'd prefer fixing it to reinstallation.

Could I not also do that by booting from another hdd and making this hdd D: or EConfused
Strange thing is, most of the files do not seem to have changed at all.

PPS I also found an alternative here:
http://www.wintricks.it/download/wtgenusb.zip
Seems to work as well.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could boot from another hard drive. You will need access to the Windows CABs files so you can extract the files you need. Good luck!

Interesting download, I will have to check it out. The site is all in Italian, I think I need to brush up on my European languages.
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it means that you can point to the downloaded files as a driver when the computer asks for a driver. That is how I did it.
Spiny Norman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, replacing the files worked.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiny Norman wrote:
In any case, replacing the files worked.

I'm pleased you got it working again Very Happy
iwod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I think the page should have BIG RED BOLD letter stating that you should only install the driver with correct language version.

Since this problem is virtually unfixable.

And if replacing the original file is fixable, if it is possible for the exe to actually not replace those 2 file in the first place?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: