Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop and PC Intenet connection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Guz21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Laptop and PC Intenet connection Reply with quote

My desktop pc is connected to internet with BT Hub using ethernet cable. Can I connect my laptop in another room using another BT Hub? At present the laptop is connected wirelessly. I cannot get a decent wireless connection all the time on laptop.

Last edited by Guz21 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guz21

The BT Home Hub has two Ethernet ports so if you want to make your laptop a cable connection all you need is a long Ethernet cable, you wont need another Hub.
Guz21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cat-tranz. I think I did not make myself clear. I want to be able to connect the laptop wirelessly. I can do this now but it is not reliable. If I have another BT Hub then can I connect to that one instead in the other room?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a second BT Hub is the solution to your problem. If the wireless signal is weak, then you need to look at fixing this. There are several things you can try, you could upgrade the aerial on the BT Hub (if it's a detachable type), try relocating the BT Hub somewhere different (electrical cables in the walls and other environmental factors can make a difference), if you have another BT socket try connecting the BT Hub in to that as this will be at a different location in the house (often height helps). If all this fails you can get a repeater that will repeat the wireless signal making it work further from the BT Hub.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see, sorry, as SoftStag suggests a signal booster would be a big improvement, and there is the blue tooth option that works very well on the latest BT Home Hub
Guz21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoftStag and Cat-tranz.

Wouldn't it be simpler for me to get another BT Hub and plug it in to my other phone socket in the other room? I need the one where it is to give the ethernet connection to the PC. Its just to far away from my laptop to be reliable.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could get another Home Hub (around 80) a hi-gain antenna that focuses the wireless signals only one direction would be less expensive, some info > Here
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have 2 BT Home hubs both connected to the same telephone line. BT uses ADSL technology and will only allow 1 concurrent connection on the phone line. Use a repeater or hi-gain antenna to increase the range of the wireless network.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many phone lines do you have Guz21 ?, we have two one for home and one for my Dads business. a booster or hi-gain antenna would be the better option Very Happy
Guz21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I only have 1 phone line, so I take it I can't have 2 hubs. I will look in to the hi-gain antenna and see how that goes.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To run two Hubs you would need two lines but i think you will find a hi-gain antenna should do the job Very Happy, please let us know how it works out Guz21.

Cindy X
Guz21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cindy! Will do! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: