Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop connection

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Mr.Pickelz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Laptop connection Reply with quote

Heya!

Basically I have a laptop with a small amount of memory left free ( about 3 GB I think) and I wanted to install a large game, so I purchased a terrorbyte external hardrive, I installed the game onto this and played through it, ( the game in question is world of Warcraft and is an mmorpg that uses the internet) after unplugging the hardrive my brother complained of a slower Internet connection and blames me for making the laptop's connection speed slower, my question is: is this possible? Could the game (which is longer connected to the computer) have made it slower?

I'm sorry if you don't normally deal with this kind of question, but an answer would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Tom
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its slow because the hard drive is virtually full
Running the game may have made this worse as any temp / temp internet files will reside on the C: drive, not the plugin drive

Only way you'll resolve it is to create some space on the c: drive
Delete the internet cached, uninstall anything you don't need and then download and run CCleaner and ATFCleaner
that MAY get you some space but I doubt its enough
Basically, you probably need a bigger hard drive. How big is it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post suggests that it is the internet connection that is slow, and not the laptop. If this is the case, then running WoW shouldn't make any difference. I would have thought that you would have noticed by playing WoW online that the internet connection wasn't up to much.

One possibility could be that the internet service provider may have capped the speeds if you have exceeded their bandwidth allowance. Some ISPs do this, so you get a slower internet connection once you exceed your monthly download quota.

Probably more likely is that you say the laptop has 3Gb of space on it. That really is not much! This most likely causes the laptop to run quite slowly in general. Installing WoW may have put some additional files on the laptop (even though you installed to the external drive), thereby filling up a little more space and causing the laptop to run slower. It would be worth downloading Ccleaner and running that to remove temporary files etc. This may free up a little space and make things a bit better.

Of course it could be nothing of the sort, there could be a problem with the internet connection running slow!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the shortage of spaces on the laptop local HDD causing the internet slow problem.

I believed this is not just the internet slow problem, later on, many other apps will get slower as well as the drive C running out of the spaces.

I would suggest get a HDD upgrade on the laptop local HDD.
Back up the files and probably need to install the OS from scratch on the larger new HDD.

For now, deleting unwanted apps on the local HDD to get more space available is what can be done now.

Replacing a larger local HDD is a more long term solution.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager Wptinc
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: