Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop internet connection via GPRS and Bluetooth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Laptop internet connection via GPRS and Bluetooth Reply with quote

I'm tearing my hair out here (actually I've not much to start with)!

OK, here is what I'm trying to do. I have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it. I want to connect it to my Samsung D500 phone via bluetooth to give me an internet connection on my laptop using the phone's GPRS.

I've done this in the past with an XP system and it worked (although it is slow). On Vista though, I can't seem to work it out Sad

I can get a bluetooth connection between the laptop and the phone, so that's all good. In Network Connections when I go to Bluetooth Network Connection it doesn't find my phone - even though it's able to bluetooth files etc with no problem. This suggests to me that my phone doesn't support the feature, which is fine, but there must be another way to connect as it works in XP.

Any help on this would be great!
Mr. Green
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

My blue tooth software is Veho and when its installed Internet connectivity is not set at default (i have to tick a box in preferences just wondering if yours may be similar) ?
Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat-tranz

I don't have any software installed, just the bluetooth drivers. My understanding is that Vista supports bluetooth natively and shouldn't require any additional software. Like I said, I can transfer photos from my phone to the laptop by buetooth, so connectivity is there, I just can't configure it Sad

I'm following these instructions, but when I double click on Bluetooth Network Connection in Network Connections, it doesn't show my phone so I can't go any further.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vista supports blue tooth natively
yes it does and so with XP and i found that can be a pig as well, so now i use the software and it works fine, but i can see what you mean - its odd ! Vista should see your phone but it does not, have you tried a reinstall of the blue tooth drivers ? this may be of help > http://www.djkaty.com/vista/bluetoothmodem
Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Cat-tranz Very Happy

Yeah, I reinstalled the drivers, but it made no difference. So you think I should try installing the XP software to get this to work?
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Steve Very Happy

I doubt if XP drivers would work but whatever make your blue tooth is did you get any software with the dongle ? if so - or maybe it can be downloaded try using that (this is the only way i can get my Blackberry to talk to my main PC (XP Pro) is to use the blue tooth Veho software).
Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bluetooth is built in to my Acer laptop. I'll have a play with the XP software and see if I can get it to work.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see, well good luck with it honey and please let us know what happens
Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the XP software and I can get further with it, but I'm still not able to fully connect. I can connect the DUN, it connects and authenticates, but the internet connection does not work. My phone shows the GPRS connection is live, but the internet connection is dead.

Any ideas?
Mr. Green
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Steve

(Internet Protocol Properties in vista) are you using Obtain an IP address automatically" and also "Obtain DNS server address automatically ?, if your not try it > Control Panel with Category View > Network and Internet > Network Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > Right-click on the Local Area Connection > Properties > (If User Account Control is enabled click continue) > highlight Internet Protocol Version > Ensure that both "Obtain an IP address automatically" and also "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected - if any other options are chosen, then change them to Obtain the details automatically > click OK and reboot.
Markb

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What phone provider do you have? O2 have stopped allowing this type of connection, which I found out when trying to set this up on a laptop. Vodafone to my knowledge still support it. You often need an initialization string when using DUN to tell it what GPRS access point to use. Check out this link
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markb wrote:
What phone provider do you have? O2 have stopped allowing this type of connection, which I found out when trying to set this up on a laptop. Vodafone to my knowledge still support it.

Mark, any idea how they disable this type of connection? Do they use special firmware in an O2 locked phone, or is it something else? I'd have thought that they would not be able to tell if it is the phone or a laptop via the phone that is making the requests.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: