Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop power failure

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
rpnight

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Laptop power failure Reply with quote

Hi All, first of all, great forum, i had a quick nose through and theres some good help being handed out.

I myself work in IT and have done for a number of years, i am more in the security field now and although my problem is a technical one, it is of a hardware natue where i am a bit rusty!

a few weeks ago i was using my laptop and it just powered off, no warning...nothing. It is now completely dead with no signs of life, no flickering flat battery lights.

I stripped her down and did what troubleshooting i could, i have an electricity tester, i forget the proper name! I have tested the power cord at its output and it has electric current, even sparks when i put it in so that rules out a flat battery because of a dead adapter.

Battery itself was in good shape, saying that im sure a laptop would work without the battery as long as it was plugged in....

I have tested a couple of points on the motherboard and there is power there so i know some power is spreading through everything

I have looked at the power switch and its a simple setup and all looks ok

So im at a brick wall, would a motherboard just keel over and die with no warning? Laptop was working brill up to that point. Ive checked the norm and there is nothing odd or leaking in the mobo, no electrical burnt smell.

Can anyone think of anything else? Do you think it is just a blown mobo? i say JUST but being the most expensive replacement, i dont want to buy one and find its something silly that i have missed.

It is a Toshiba L350 17" if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Danny
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny

Are you sure its not the HDD ? quick test if you have Ubuntu on disk run it live from the optical drive. second has the screen blown ? as you have a multi meter you could test.
rpnight

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

hey...

Definately not the HDD, this is now on another machine until i fix this one. Even if the HDD was knackered, it should at least POST of have some light activity...even the whir of a fan but nothing happens at all.

Screen again is fairly new..i would still expect something else to start before the screen kicked in?
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you have power going to the mobo does the CPU fan come off the mobo if it s the case then i would say its a mobo problem.
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it can't be the PSU because you have power to the board. It can't be the hard drive because you would get a message at start up telling you no hard drive found.

I guess the board is the only possibility. Can't be the screen because you would expect to see some power lights on the unit if that was the case.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting the correct voltage out of the PSU? It should say on both the laptop and the PSU what the correct voltage should be.

If this isn't it, then I think we are looking at a faulty motherboard.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Jilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is above my paygrade. But I like you do not see any bulging or discolored capacitors on the board, and power appears to be going to it I came upon this for whatever it may be worth:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-31465-laptop-shut-off-will-not-turn-back-on
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: