Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

laptop wireless connectivity help!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: laptop wireless connectivity help!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Let me start from the outset and give you the full idea of my problem so hopefully someone can help. I have virgin internet and was originally cable. I then bought a wireless router and wireless adaptor for my laptop. I installed the wireless router on my desktop and followed the instructions. The internet cable goes into the back of the router. The ethernet cable comes out of it and goes into my computer. I dont know if my desktop is running on wireless or not?

I have plugged in and installed my wireless adaptor on my laptop and this is picking up all the wireless signals in my close! Including mine! When i try and connect to my wirless connection it does but only for like 1 second then it disconnects and says on my laptop that there is a network cable unplugged? It just keeps connecting and disconnecting on and off anf i cant get on the net.

To recap i have wireless router set up and installed as told to do so in the installation guide. Apart from that i havnt done anything to desktop internet settings. Wireless adaptor is installed on laptop and picking up router just not connecting. Im on WPA and im using the right encryption key i set up on installation. I dont know what im doing wrong!!!!

Please help. I would be soooooo greatful.

Regards,

Harry.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, when setting up a new wireless network it is best to start without any encryption at all. I would start by resetting your router back to factory defaults, then setting the SSID to something you can identify as being yours.

Connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the single port on the router, and connect an ethernet cable between the desktop and one of the other ports on the router (there will probably be a bank of 4).

Now, verify that the desktop can connect to the internet. If so then the router is doing it's job of routing the between the modem and the PC - this is a wired connection, not wireless. If this works, then on the laptop, check for the wireless network - you should see the SSID you configured in the router earlier. Connect to this, and it should be an unsecured network as no encryption was set up - so no key should be required. You should now be able to connect to the internet from the laptop.

If all this works, disconnect the laptop from the wireless connection and configure WPA settings in the router. Now try to connect the laptop to the network and it will ask for the key - enter this. You should now be connected to the network and the internet should work.

If this doesn't work, please state what is not working, and what make and model of router you have.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me soft stag!

I think i did what you said up to a point the 1st time. I set a SSID which was Belkin but i will try and uninstall everything and start from square 1 again and create an SSID i can recognise as mine. I dont know if i made and encyption or not as it never asked me for this when setting up the router. It asked me to create a password which i did and then when on the laptop i typed this in as the encryption which is where i might be going wrong?

I did pick up the wireless router on my laptop but it just couldnt hold a connection and kept saying a network cable is unplugged?

As for this part you told me about:

"If all this works, disconnect the laptop from the wireless connection and configure WPA settings in the router. Now try to connect the laptop to the network and it will ask for the key - enter this. You should now be connected to the network and the internet should work."

I dont know how to configure the WPA settings on my destop? If i do this will i be able to set up an encryption key from here? How do i do this?

I will try the points you have mentioned and then get back to you if i still cant figure it out. I will try and get the model of router too.

Thanks ever so much for your help. Your an absoloute star.

Harry.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to set up WPA on your desktop. WPA encryption will only be used over wireless connections. You desktop is physically connected via ethernet, so the encryption is not required and not used. As your laptop connects via wireless, it must have the same settings as the router in order to work.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You don't need to set up WPA on your desktop. WPA encryption will only be used over wireless connections. You desktop is physically connected via ethernet, so the encryption is not required and not used. As your laptop connects via wireless, it must have the same settings as the router in order to work."

Didnt really get that. I chose the WPA option over WEP on my desktop when installing the router. And as for the wireless WPA encyption how do i set this up to match on both the laptop and desktop. I know the desktop is running 'wired' with the cable but bypasses through the wireless router so i can run my laptop. How do i match settings on laptop and router?

It keeps saying network cable unplugged when it tries to connect to my router?

Thanks again.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The router is capable or wired and wireless networking. You desktop takes advantage of the wired capability and the laptop takes advantage of the wireless capability. When you connected the desktop to the router to set up the WPA etc you are changing the settings on the router - these are nothing to do with the the PC's settings. The router has a DHCP server that auto configures IP addresses on devices connected so when you plug in the desktop to the router it automatically has connectivity with the router. The instructions for the router would have probably given you a URL to set up the configuration, and because the connectivity is automatically set you are able to access this. This is where you change the SSID, WPA settings etc.

Connecting via wireless is slightly different. Before you can access the router you need to connect to it. In the simplest from (and how the router should be as default out of the box) there is no encryption. Your laptop has to see the network, and when you request to connect to it, it sets up a wireless connection between the laptop and the router. Once the connection is established DHCP will assign IP addresses and you should be able to access the router. When you configure WEP or WPA encryption on the router, you are telling it that you want this type of encryption and what the key is for the encryption. Both the router and any device connecting to the router need this key in order for the connectivity to be established. If the keys aren't matching then the data is scrambled and it won't work. This means that primarily no one without the key can connect to your network via wireless, and also any data is encrypted so if it is intercepted it can't be read. This security is not necessary for devices that are connected via a cable as someone would need physical access to the router to connect to it, so this doesn't apply to anything connected via ethernet - even if WPA is setup, it's not used. WEP and WPA are exclusively for wireless connections.

I hope this explains it a bit more clearly.

With regard to it saying the network cable is unplugged, you need to check what network device this is referring to. It could be that it is referring to an ethernet port on the laptop, or it could be that it is saying that it has lost wireless connectivity with the router.
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is picking up the wireless connection from the router. It asks me for a encryption key but what is this as i havnt set one up?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If encryption is disabled then it will not ask for a key. Ensure that WEP and WPA is disabled on the router.
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck... the laptop is picking up the wireless router for sure and it connects fine for 2 seconds then disconnects and says a network cable is unplugged? Surely if its wirless it doesnt need a cable!!!

Im getting no where.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the signal strength?
hjbatchelor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

signal strenght is 100% all working ok. Just keeps coming up with network cable unplugged and then disconnecting????
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get the same problem when trying to connect to a different wireless network? If so I would recommend that you see if there are any updated drivers for the wireless network card on the laptop.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: