Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linking Win98SE and Vista Home

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
MichaelH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Linking Win98SE and Vista Home Reply with quote

I need to transfer a 300 kilobyte zipped file daily from a Win98SE laptop to a Vista desktop. Until a few days ago, the Vista machine was a WinXP desktop, and my answer to the transfer issue was simple: good old floppy disk! The new Vista replacement has no floppy drive, of course.

One answer would be a USB floppy drive for the desktop, but there should be a better way.

First idea was to link the 98SE laptop to my home network. It has previously been linked up using a PCMCIA wireless adapter and worked nicely. However, the network has been upgraded since then and uses a higher protection level (is it WEP as opposed to WPA?) which I gather Win98 does not support - the network connection wizard certainly doesn't allow for any such thing. Assuming this is right, would it be possible to link the two computers by wireless separately from the main network, without going through the router? The Win98 machine does not need any internet connection, nor does it need to talk to the various laptops used by the rest of the family around the house.

Second idea was to use a USB pen drive - except that the 98SE machine has no drivers for such a thing, and the solution provided on this website did not work for me (I have posted a separate message about this).

Third idea involved linking the machines directly with a cable, but that seems to involve an RSR232 or parallel printer cable - and the Vista machine doesn't have such sockets.

At this point I ran out of ideas Smile I'd be most grateful for a solution one way or another.

Thanks

MichaelH
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Linking Win98SE and Vista Home Reply with quote

MichaelH wrote:
I need to transfer a 300 kilobyte zipped file daily from a Win98SE laptop to a Vista desktop. Until a few days ago, the Vista machine was a WinXP desktop, and my answer to the transfer issue was simple: good old floppy disk! The new Vista replacement has no floppy drive, of course.

One answer would be a USB floppy drive for the desktop, but there should be a better way.

First idea was to link the 98SE laptop to my home network. It has previously been linked up using a PCMCIA wireless adapter and worked nicely. However, the network has been upgraded since then and uses a higher protection level (is it WEP as opposed to WPA?) which I gather Win98 does not support - the network connection wizard certainly doesn't allow for any such thing. Assuming this is right, would it be possible to link the two computers by wireless separately from the main network, without going through the router? The Win98 machine does not need any internet connection, nor does it need to talk to the various laptops used by the rest of the family around the house.

Second idea was to use a USB pen drive - except that the 98SE machine has no drivers for such a thing, and the solution provided on this website did not work for me (I have posted a separate message about this).

Third idea involved linking the machines directly with a cable, but that seems to involve an RSR232 or parallel printer cable - and the Vista machine doesn't have such sockets.

At this point I ran out of ideas Smile I'd be most grateful for a solution one way or another.

Thanks

MichaelH

Tricky one that. You may be able to find a transfer cable that has drivers for both 98 and Vista. They tend to be USB based but I think there are ethernet solutions too.
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest way would be to use an ethernet if both PCs have an ethernet port, either . However if they don't then the best alternative would be to use the wireless. Your new system will use WPA and the old was WEP, however most modern wireless access points will be able to provide both, so I would suggest that you downgrade your encryption method while you transfer your files and then put it back to WPA when you have finished.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also attach the 98 PC to the router via Ethernet if that is feasible. It will then be on the network as it was before.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
MichaelH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combining answers to the 3 responses:

The laptop does not have a LAN socket, though I have this morning found online ads for USB to LAN adapters that come with Win98 drivers. I didn't know such things existed. otherwise I might have considered a LAN link a whole lot earlier! The urgency has been removed thanks to getting the USB stick driver download working at the third attempt.

If I go the wired LAN link way it will be to the router - as the Vista PC will itself be wired to the router once everything is sorted out, so it won't have a spare LAN socket. It can't stay on the coffee table in the living room forever, much as it looks like an LCD TV! The prospect of messing about with the wireless settings every day is not a pleasant one, and presumably anyone else connected to the network wirelessly would suddenly find themselves cut off.

Just exploring ideas, I see that the laptop has an IR emitter at the back and presumably could be persuaded to talk to another IR-equipped machine. The Vista machine talks to a RC6 remote control, but I think that's probably a whole world different, and in any case the Win98 laptop can't be parked in front of the Vista machine so the IRs would line up. This is just impractical, the laptop is virtually immovable owing to a dongle on its RS232 port. This is what supplies its data, unfortunately it tends to fall off Rolling Eyes It has to use a wide-to-narrow adapter, and that doesn't screw on to the socket.

Would another possibility be a bluetooth USB dongle? Does Win98 do bluetooth? The Vista machine does. I admit that my only experience with bluetooth was trying to connect a PDA to an XP PC, it worked once but I could never get it to work again.

Thanks or all the help.

MichaelH
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelH wrote:
The laptop does not have a LAN socket, though I have this morning found online ads for USB to LAN adapters that come with Win98 drivers. I didn't know such things existed. otherwise I might have considered a LAN link a whole lot earlier!

These adapters can be a little troublesome, make sure you can get one that is Windows 98 compatible. Better still, if you have a PCMCIA slot available on your laptop, see if you can get a PCMCIA LAN card, they are generally much more reliable.

MichaelH wrote:
Just exploring ideas, I see that the laptop has an IR emitter at the back and presumably could be persuaded to talk to another IR-equipped machine. The Vista machine talks to a RC6 remote control, but I think that's probably a whole world different, and in any case the Win98 laptop can't be parked in front of the Vista machine so the IRs would line up. This is just impractical, the laptop is virtually immovable owing to a dongle on its RS232 port. This is what supplies its data, unfortunately it tends to fall off Rolling Eyes It has to use a wide-to-narrow adapter, and that doesn't screw on to the socket.

This may be impractical due to location, but you may also find this annoyingly difficult to get to work reliably. IR is not great!

MichaelH wrote:
Would another possibility be a bluetooth USB dongle? Does Win98 do bluetooth? The Vista machine does. I admit that my only experience with bluetooth was trying to connect a PDA to an XP PC, it worked once but I could never get it to work again.

Bluetooth is another one of those annoying forms of connectivity that isn't all that easy to get working, or all that reliable. Windows 98 does not natively support Bluetooth, however there are some dongles out there that work with it. I would avoid Bluetooth unless you are using Vista based machines, even XP seems to struggle.

I would suggest the best way is to get a LAN connection from the laptop to the router, this puts you on the network and allows you to more easily share files etc. Try a USB-LAN connection, it should be fine if you get one with 98 support.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
MichaelH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try a USB-LAN connection, it should be fine if you get one with 98 support.

It does seem the best all-round solution, without any stress and strain on the USB sockets either. I may even be able to program my program that analyses the data from the Win98 machine to just look for its data across the network, which would be even better than transferring it permanently.

As there's no hurry now, I'll keep an eye out for a PCMCIA device on e-bay (so long as it's guaranteed to have the Win98 drivers).

Thanks once again. I'll move on to another puzzle now, once I've worked out the best way to explain it, and start another thread for that.

Michael
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: