Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

local access only on XP

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
andyc101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: local access only on XP Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a internet connection problem and was wondering if any of you tech heads might have a clue what i could do.

I have 1 desktop (XP) and 2 laptops (one Vista and one XP) all connecting to a dlink DKT-710 wireless network.

All was fine until about a month ago the desktop would not connect to the internet and i found i only had local access, so i could connect to the router but not onwards to the internet. Both laptops connected fine!

I did some digging and i see this is quite a common problem with Vista but i am struggling to find any info regarding local access on XP!

Then one week ago both vista and XP laptop had the same problem and thats where i am now, except that i have replaced the router under warrenty.

I can connect to the internet with the XP laptop via CAT5 cable directly to the router, but the vista laptop wont even do that!!

Any help would be fantastic, im pulling my hair out here!!

Thanks
Andy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest rebooting the router (power off then back on again). If this does not work, restore factory settings on the router and reconfigure your network from scratch. Try it firstly without any encryption, then add WPA/WEP once you have it working.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: