Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice on buying a new pc

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice on buying a new pc Reply with quote

Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying a new pc and have been looking at refurbished ones on the PC World website I had a look at this one the HP Pavilion a6557.uk which can be viewed here http://preview.tinyurl.com/9dw7x3

The main things it would be used for is the internet, Photography, Music, Games and I like making my own Photo DVDs and thought as it's got the Muvee AutoProducer programme included that is an added bonus.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Jim
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice on buying a new pc Reply with quote

jrobertson29365 wrote:
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying a new pc and have been looking at refurbished ones on the PC World website I had a look at this one the HP Pavilion a6557.uk which can be viewed here http://preview.tinyurl.com/9dw7x3

The main things it would be used for is the internet, Photography, Music, Games and I like making my own Photo DVDs and thought as it's got the Muvee AutoProducer programme included that is an added bonus.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Jim

That's pretty good value for money IMHO. The 1TB hard drive is a touch and the front side bus speed is high which will mean your memory and graphics card will run at a nice high speed. Graphics card is nothing special but that can be replaced easy enough if you want hi res graphics when gaming. Not sure about the potential for overclocking with that processor but the AMDs have always had a reputation for it. Of course that would be dependent on the BIOS allowing you to change the settings.

I recently bought a similar spec machine for about the same money. Although mine has a very tasty Pentium Quad Core Q6600 which is quite a tasty processor.

If you shop around you may find a similar machine with a dual or quad core processor but you might have to give up some of the hard disk space as a trade off for that money. Nice find though.
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply surreypcsupport.com,

Where did you get your PC from and what make model was it?

Also do you have a link to it?

Thanks

Jim
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobertson29365 wrote:
Thanks for your reply surreypcsupport.com,

Where did you get your PC from and what make model was it?

Also do you have a link to it?

Thanks

Jim

It came from PC World about 6 months ago. It was reduced old stock. Brand new just part of an old range. It's an Advent badged machine but I can't remember the model number. Doubt you would be able to get one now unfortunately.

A colleague of mine builds machines to order if you are interested. Means you will get exactly the right spec for you at what ever budget you want. It could be delivered to you ready overclocked if you wanted too. You can get real value for money like that. He made a machine for me about 3 years ago and it's still performs well and I'm still using it as my main machine.
jrobertson29365

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the offer mate but i'm not too sure if i'd want to go down the road of a home build again as I had a bad experience before buying one but I took your advice of looking at the Advent range of computers and downgrading my wishlist from the 1TB hard drive to the 640GB shown on this model and found this one the Advent QC-6003 http://preview.tinyurl.com/8fx6pa it's got the

* Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
* 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* 6GB DDR2 667MHz memory
* 640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

if you can have a look and let me know what you think about it and if this is a good processor etc It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobertson29365 wrote:
Thanks for the info and the offer mate but i'm not too sure if i'd want to go down the road of a home build again as I had a bad experience before buying one but I took your advice of looking at the Advent range of computers and downgrading my wishlist from the 1TB hard drive to the 640GB shown on this model and found this one the Advent QC-6003 http://preview.tinyurl.com/8fx6pa it's got the

* Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
* 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* 6GB DDR2 667MHz memory
* 640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

if you can have a look and let me know what you think about it and if this is a good processor etc It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

That's a fine piece of kit. How much is it?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: