Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loss of icons eg(back icon in my computer),other problems.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
kzh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: loss of icons eg(back icon in my computer),other problems. Reply with quote

help me my icons for lets say forward,back,go,search,home in my computer,mydocuments,ie explorer they are all gone!but that is not the major problem.

I cannot delete any file at all, say i downloaded this file, i right click and press delete, they say that it cant be deleted because there is not enough memory!but fact is i had like 720mb free ram at that point.

Also, when i right click say local disk C and press properties, a window appears,yes its normal, but the tabs where there are supposed to be words, they disappear, and the window is entirely grey coloured, then soon an error thing pops out saying explorer encountered a problem then everything closes and the computer sorts of "restart", except that power doesnt go off but all icons disappear and appear again like logging off and on instantly without powerdown.

Also, My C drive mysteriously loses disk space for no reason at all!!!!
In total, i only use like 20gb of space, while the disk is supposedly 40gb but has 34gb,BUT THEN IT STATES that i have like only around 2gb left.whats more, everytime i log on to the computer, it gets lesser and lesser.like yesterday it was 3.5gb.today it is only 1.8gb.WHATS more alarming is that every ten minutes i check the remaining disk space by highlighting because if i click properties there will be error and mini restart, i lose around 20mb.i tried deleting my files and clearing temp files, i tried using disk cleanup, i compressed many files, everytime saving around 2gb., but the disk space keeps mysteriously disappearing and i have to delete more and more files everytime to save space.like this morning it was 1.90gb.currently it is 1.70gb.HOW???i have changed the page file to my E drive also.where has the space gone to?im sick and tired of having to delete all my files.
SO PLEASE HELP ME.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating system are you using?

Also, what is the reported size of the C drive in Windows? Just because you have a 40Gb drive, you will not necessarily have 40Gb of space available to Windows (click here)
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kzh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Xp Sp2, p4E 3.0ghz , 1gb ram, 3 hard disks supposedly 40gb, geforce A6600 gt tdh 128mb

the c drive has a reported 37.2 max capacity.

my free space just diminished to 1.62gb fck!Sad
to think it was 1.9 when i 1st restarted, and after the 2nd restart its 1.62 wtf!
without doing anything at all.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Restore is probably responsible for the space being taken up. 40Gb is not very big hard drive for a Windows XP installation, especially if you have a lot of programs installed.

You could try disabling System Restore to see if the problem stops, however I wouldn't recommend having System Restore disabled permanently.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: