Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Email after compacting.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Littlerooster

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Lost Email after compacting. Reply with quote

Outlook express prompted me to compact all my email folders to save disk space since apparently there were a lot of them accumulated over time. (around 3200) However having ok'd this and then opening outlook express I find that all my emails from 2009 are gone - only some from earlier years that I was saving now show up. Needless to say I really need my latest ones so I did some research and followed the instructions found on this web address: http://www.ehow.com/how_4464383_restore-deleted-files-from-microsoft.html - I discovered all the files were located in the recycle bin shown as .BAK (As per sent.bak - deleted.bak-inbox.bak, and so on)I started by just changing the "Sent Items.DBX and the Sent Items.BAK ,as instructed ,however they did not show up at all. There are 12 each folders ie: 12 .bak and 12 .dbx like :Deleted Items.bak and Deleted Items.dbx , Inbox.BAK and Inbox.DBX , and so on . I may have goofed when I tried opening some of them when asked what program to open them with. I could not do so with outlook express so tried Wordpad and that would not work..just messed up the icons and stalled the computer. I am really needing to restore these files and will most certainly appreciate your help. Please advise what steps I can take and let me know if you need further! Sincere Thanks: Dick
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried importing them through the Import feature in Outlook Express?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: