Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Main computer breakdown! Help wanted

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Mr.Pickelz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Main computer breakdown! Help wanted Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm back again!

The problem is my main computer is very broken. Basically I boot it up and sometimes it may just freeze on the 'COMPAQ' screen. Other times I will get as far as the log in screen, where when I press a button the screen will freeze up, a black screen will then appear, then go back to the frozen screen. Afterwards the screen goes black and my monitor goes onto powersaving mode. This problem is not due to the screen I don't think, as I can still acres the menu. Anybody know what this Is or how to combat it?

Many thanks
Tom
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess at either
a failing motherboard
or
its overheating (maybe due to dirt / dust. maybe to failed fan, maybe due to failure of heat sink compound, maybe (if a laptop) the chipset solder failing

Take it apart, clean all the dirt out, check all the fans, reseat memory and cards, put it back together. If it still wont play then either bin it or get a new motherboard - depending on age / model. You'e not told us anything about the machine or its history, so at best this is all just a guess
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help to know what model of PC this is. Although to be honest, it sounds like failed/failing hardware. Depending upon how comfortable you are with opening up a PC and reseating/replacing components, you may need to take this to a repair shop.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some basic troubleshooting by unplug the HDD data cable on the mobo, reseat the parts and use 1 working RAM.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: