Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAJOR PROBLEM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Chelta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: MAJOR PROBLEM Reply with quote

Hi, i got a DVD R/W for christmas, and i took my computer apart, removed my CD drive and put in the DVD, all was fine until I turned the computer off, now when I go to turn it on it asks what state I want to turn it on in (last known config, Start W/dos normally or safe mode) I have tried all 3 and when it gets to the XP loading screen a blue screen flashes up and I hear a clcik sound an it restarts Sad, any help appreiated.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may or may not be related to the DVD writer. With the PC turned off, try disconnecting the drive, then turn back on again. Let us know if this makes any difference.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Chelta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
This may or may not be related to the DVD writer. With the PC turned off, try disconnecting the drive, then turn back on again. Let us know if this makes any difference.

Hi again, i tried this and still no joy Sad any other ideas??
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the drive is disconnected, then it is not the drive causing the problem.

Does the blue screen have text on it? If so, is it possible to press the Pause/Break key to view what it says before it reboots?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Chelta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
If the drive is disconnected, then it is not the drive causing the problem.

Does the blue screen have text on it? If so, is it possible to press the Pause/Break key to view what it says before it reboots?

Hi, its good to hear that it is not the DVD writer, but unfortunately I cant pause the screen, bt i can see "SYSTEM ERROR"
hope this helps
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be the DVD writer, but it could be anything.

Firstly, I would try resetting the BIOS to defaults, in case the system is incorrectly configured. To do this when you start the computer on the very first screen it should say something like Press Del to enter Setup - you need to press the key is says. There should then be an option to Load BIOS defaults or similar. Do this, and exit saving settings.

If this doesn't work, then you will probably need to look at reinstalling Windows XP from the CD.
Chelta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
It may not be the DVD writer, but it could be anything.

Firstly, I would try resetting the BIOS to defaults, in case the system is incorrectly configured. To do this when you start the computer on the very first screen it should say something like Press Del to enter Setup - you need to press the key is says. There should then be an option to Load BIOS defaults or similar. Do this, and exit saving settings.

If this doesn't work, then you will probably need to look at reinstalling Windows XP from the CD.

Hi i cant find the LOAD BIOS The options i have are:
+ Standard CMOS Setup
+ BIOS Features Setup
+ Chipset Features Setup
+ Power Managemwnt Setup
+ PWP/PCI Configuration
+ Load Fail Safe Defaults
+ Load Optimized Defaults
+ Integrate Perhephials
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Load Fail Safe Defaults. If this works, then you can go back and try Load Optimised Defaults. If the Fail Safe Defaults do not work, then you will need to reinstall XP.
Chelta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks SoftStag your help has been much appreciated Very Happy
Chelta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softstag can you tell me how i would go about installin widnows from the cd???
Chelta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inserted my Windows XP Cd into the drive and turned the computer on, i got through the same process and set my bios to load from a cd I think :S but the same thing happens when the loading screen goes off and restarts
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is a hardware problem with the PC. If you are OK with playing around with the insides of the computer, then I would unplug any unnecessary components, remove any PCI cards and see if this helps. If you aren't comfortable with this then I would suggest you contact your PC vendor for assistance.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: