Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max number of optical drives

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Nasty Nige

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Max number of optical drives Reply with quote

Confused

how many optical drives can i install on my pc.

running msi k8t neo2 board, win xp sp2

I spend a lot of time swapping cds, have 2 installed but am having problems with a 3rd. - dont ask why its a long story.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have as many as you like, although you may start to run in to problems if you have more than 26 drives as you will run out of drive letters! On an IDE chain you can have 2 devices (primary and slave), most motherboards have 2 IDE chains, but one will be used for the hard drive (unless SATA). You can add controller cards to give you the ability to have more drives.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Nasty Nige

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softstag
thanks thts what I thought

The drive letter is not the issue. Have 2 config onto the IDE 2 port off the MB but if I try a 3rd onto the IDE card even as only a master/single drive get the "blue Screen of Death"

only other option I can think of is to use externals
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it say on the Blue Screen of Death? Any error here may help.

Also, what IDE controller are you using? Does it show any problems in Device Manager when installed. You should also check that the drive you are trying on the controller works on the inbuilt IDE controller.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Muffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Max number of optical drives Reply with quote

Have you considered using MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager?

It allows (non-copyrighted) CD and DVD images to be mounted on selected drive letters for read-only access. You can then take images of the media you need and map them to drive letters before removing the CD and inserting the next. You may never need to load the CD again.

Do a seach for MagicISO and download the FREE utility. Or pay for the full package and enjoy all the features.

Who is General Error and why is he reading my disk anyway?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: