Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Media Center installation problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Media Center installation problem Reply with quote

When I attempt to install Windows Media Center 2005 on a new hard drive the installation stops about 60 percent thru the 1st disc. It formats the drive, starts to copy the files and then it comes up and says it can't copy file such and such. Says to press enter to re-try or f3 to end install. The error message also says there may be a problem w/ the cd. I sent the o/s back to the company I purchased it from and they sent me another one but the problem still exists. This has me pretty baffled. If anyone knows a fix for this I would really like to hear from you.
Thanks, Rick
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like if the problem is not with the disk, it could be with the drive. Have you tried installing on a different PC to see if it gets any further?

Also, does it always get stuck on the same file? If so which one?
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I had a very similar problem a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine asked me to install MCE for him, and I set it going only to find it kept looking for files it couldn't find. I decided to write an article on Installing Windows Media Center Edition, unfortunately this is still a work in progress, hopefully I get it finished at the weekend...

The basic solution to the problem is, you need to put the other disk in the drive (disk 2). This will continue to install, then probably say another file is missing. You need to keep swapping between disk 1 and disk 2 until it is installed. You should also have a third disk with updates on it. You should install this when Windows has finished installing.

The reason it's so complicated, is that Microsoft does not intend end users to install Windows MCE. There is no Retail version, only an OEM version which is intended for system builders and comes without support from MS.

Let us know how you get on with this, and if there's anything you want to contribute to my article I'm writing then PM me.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: