Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

memory Stick data

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Mrs Tipple 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: memory Stick data Reply with quote

Hi all - help needed - i have downlaoded some files onto a memory stick from microsoft works yet when i put the stick into another computer i cannot read the information as it should be. it just shows lots of symbols and junk and my info is lost within it.

Im not the brightest but is it something i may be doing. Both computers have windows vista.

The files are definitely showing on the memory stick but not as i have them on my computer.

The other system does not have the internet connected.

Hope that is all information needed.

Many thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the data works on the PC it came from originally, then it looks like the file types are not compatible with the other computer. Make sure you have MS Works installed on that computer as well.
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option might be to save the files on the original PC in a format that is recognisable by software on both PCs. Usually for spreadsheets CSV format works, and for text documents RTF works. Note that you may lose formatting and some features by using these formats.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: