Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft service pack 2

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Owen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Microsoft service pack 2 Reply with quote

I got one of the computers that can't install it Neutral (Intel Pentium 4)
Basically when I install it, it would get to a part where the download just stops, like the last step of the install. I've tried through microsofts site to download it and the automatic updates but neither work Confused But everytime I reset my computer the loading bars with the windows sign above it are blue and stuff and then it just says "Loading......" and freezes there so I have to reset and uninstall it in safe mode.
I've tried installing the KB885626 download aswell which is ment to fix it so says microsoft.. But it aint working. Now i'm just lost and no idea what to do.. Help? ;P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is something else affecting SP2 other than the normal problem KB885626 is designed to fix.

It is probably an incompatibility with the computer's BIOS. I would suggest seeing if there is a BIOS update for your computer/motherboard. If you let us know what motherboard, or PC you have, then we can try to help you find a BIOS update.

Please note that you have to ensure you have the correct BIOS update that is designed for your motherboard. Installing an incorrect BIOS can result in complete system failure. That said, most updates will only install on the correct systems on modern PCs. To be on the safe side, it is best to contact the vendor of the PC if possible.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I get around to finding my motherboard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it sounds like you don't know much amount about your system. Please do the following:

Arrow Click Start then Help and Support
Arrow Click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems on the right hand side
Arrow Click Advanced System Information from the menu at the left
Arrow Click View detailed system information (Msinfo32.exe)
Arrow In the new window, make sure System Summary is selected then click Edit and Select All. This should highlight everything in the right hand pane.
Arrow Now click Edit and Copy. This should copy all that information on to the clipboard. Please paste this in to a post on the forum so we can see what info is there.

This information should (it does in many cases) provide us with enough information to identify the motherboard. From which we can look in to how best to proceed.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Owen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   N-MP6R26Z8PB3B5
System Manufacturer   GBT___
System Model   AWRDACPI
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   Award Software International, Inc. F2, 25/02/2005
SMBIOS Version   2.3
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name   N-MP6R26Z8PB3B5\User
Time Zone   GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory   512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   140.56 MB
Total Virtual Memory   1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.07 GB
Page File Space   1.22 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have a Gigabyte motherboard, but from this information it is not possible to identify the model. I sugest you either speak to your PC vendor regarding this; or if you are comfortable open the case (with the power turned off) and look inside at the main board to see if you can find a model number printed on it, it should start with "GA-"
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: