Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimse cmd window on app start?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Minimse cmd window on app start? Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is probably a bit lame compared to some of the problems here, Very Happy but I have an app that is started via a batch file. It's called KKMenu and is a standalone version -

http://rocketdock.com/addon/docklets/21058

I have created some .bat files to start my own menu's but it always starts with the command prompt window showing. I've searched the internet and found forums requesting how to minimise the window on starting a particular app, but none of these work for me.

I did read on one site about starting KKMenu with a minimised cmd window but they didn't say how. Now I can't find the site.

Can you help at all with this please?

Thanks

Scott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be lame by comparison, but it obviously bugs you! Smile

I think the answer is fairly straightforward...

Create a shortcut to the batch file, right click on the shortcut and click Properties. Go to the Shortcut tab and where it says Run: select Minimized.

Now when you double click the shortcut, the command prompt window will be minimised (but still show on the task bar). If you want drag this in to the Startup folder of your Start Menu and it will run on boot, minimised.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked that was simpler than I expected, and it worked Exclamation

Thanks SoftStag Very Happy

Is there anything you don't know about computers? Laughing

Actually, is there a standard way of doing this by adding a command in the batch file, rather than making a load of shortcuts?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Is there anything you don't know about computers? Laughing

Yes, lots! But, I've been working with them for many years, so I guess I've learned a lot. Smile
sl23 wrote:
Actually, is there a standard way of doing this by adding a command in the batch file, rather than making a load of shortcuts?

No, I'm afraid not. Batch files are really a legacy from the good ol' days of DOS. They were not really intended for use within a GUI (Windows). Of course they work, but they are limited in their functionality.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, I'm afraid not. Batch files are really a legacy from the good ol' days of DOS. They were not really intended for use within a GUI (Windows). Of course they work, but they are limited in their functionality.

Sad Sad Sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always learn Windows Scripting rather than use batch files. Smile
demdike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a windows program so why are you running it from a DOS .bat file?
Just drag a shortcut into the startup folder

if you really want to run from a BAT file, but not get the command shell visible, make the first line of the file read
@ echo off

and the last line
cls
sl23

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program I'm running is called KkMenu and is normally used as a docklet with Object/Rocket Dock. The version I am using however is downloaded from the RocketDock site and is a standalone app. When configured and run, it shows a menu which shows anything you want basically. It can be set to show the contents of a folder(s), or as an app launcher, or shortcuts to certain folders/apps/files.

Anyway, on starting the menu, not only does the menu appear but also a command window! Why this is I haven't a clue Confused But I'd prefer it didn't, obviously Wink Hence my question on how to start a batch file, which is essentially what the program does to launch it's menu's, without the command window showing.
demdike

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried what I put in my last post:

if you really want to run from a BAT file, but not get the command shell visible, make the first line of the file read
@ echo off

and the last line
cls
sl23

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, been looking for the original post I left on Rocket Dock and there was an update that said the .bat file is NOT needed if after creating your menu drag the kkmenu.exe to RD and enter in the icon settings/arguements section the details of the menu and skin desired. Apparently this starts the menu WITHOUT the cmd window. Again yet to try. Do so asap.

Thanks for your input though Very Happy
demdike

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, if the software is giving that much of a problem, bin it and find something else. Its only a shareware program and hardly likely to be well written

theres something you need to understand
You're running it from a BAT file. A BAT file is a 16-bit DOS / Command Shell program which HAS to run in a DOS window. You'll never prevent that, but you can stop it being visible by using the commands I gave you earlier.

If you HAVE to use the program, then look at Steve's comment about scripting - but I'll leave him to advise on that
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: