Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Application File

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Ceorl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Missing Application File Reply with quote

Hi,

I've accidently deleted my acad.zip application file. The application is installed on my laptop and all's well. Is it possible to transfer the application from one computer to another and if so how is it done? I copied the acad folder to my other laptop but it as I suspected it doesn't work. Please help if you can. Thankyou.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ceorl, welcome to the forums! Smile

I'm not sure what acad.zip is, a Google search suggests it may be a shareware Autocad DWG/DXF to PDF converter? If this is the case then you can simply download it again and install it on your other PC.

Most applications require installation, and copying the folder will not work as the application will need registry settings configured on that computer, and this is only done through the installation process.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Ceorl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SoftStag,

Thanks for replying. I reformatted an eternal hardrive containing some redundant applications, Acad 2008 not being one of them. This was done to create a central backup for my MacBook Pro laptop. I partitioned the MacBook for Windows, re-installed all my PC applications and it was then that I realised what I had done. Not to be outdone I thought of a plan. Wait for it...I would copy the Acad 2008 application's folder onto the new laptop Windows side. But what about the registry values you say. Well as expected the the application wouldn't open. I thought there might be some way to repackage the application so that it could be re-installed elsewhere. Hence the request.

Kind regards
demdike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably "ACAD 2008" is actually that rather expensive program known as Autocad?
The 2008 version has been replaced by the current 2010 version. Only place you are going to download 2008 again is from a warez or torrentz site. Either way its illegal, and what you get will probably be virus ridden

What I don't understand is, assuming youare legally alowed to use the program, then you should have a setup CD somewhere?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: