Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Item in Device Manager
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Missing Item in Device Manager Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P30 running Win XP. On trying to connect to the internet, I had an error message saying "no dial tone". I checked out the software modem which appeared ok. I then looked in Device Manager but could not find "Ports" listed. So both Com and LPT ports appear to be missing according to Device Manager. Can anyone please advise me on how to get the "Ports" to re-appear in Device Manager. I am assuming that when they re-appear I should be able to connect to the internet again. This may be a hardware problem and if so how can it be checked out, bearing in mind I do not have a circuit diagram? I am able to connect to the internet using another computer with the same cables etc.

Finally I have a .pub file which I wish to open using XP. It was created under W2k, but XP cannot open it. Again any help and advice gratefully accepted.

Regards,

DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get any devices in Device Manager with an exclamation mark next to them, or anything in a section called Other Devices?

With regard to the .pub file, this will need Microsoft Publisher installed on your system to be able to open it.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have 20 items listed under Device Manager, but none of them have an exclamation mark. If I select show "Hidden Devices", then under "None Plug and Play Drivers" there is an exclamation mark against "Serial". I am unable to find a section called "Other Devices" listed.

I was afraid that the .pub solution would be to use M/S Publisher, but I was looking for a file translation solution if possible.

Regards, DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing the [b]Serial{/b] one you mention, then restarting the computer, does this make any difference?

With regard to opening the pub files, if you don't have MS Office, try installing OpenOffice - it's a free office suite that will open most MS Office files.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Missing Item in Device Manager Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried disabling [b]Serial{/b] as advised, but the original problem is still there. I then tried to re-enable [b]Serial{/b] but it would not let me do that. Sorry to cause you all these problems, but living where I do there is no help near here.

I think that with your advice I will now be able to use that .pub file, so many thanks for the info.

Regards, DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to remove it, not disable it.
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Missing Item in Device Manager Reply with quote

Hi,

Its gone, but still no "Ports" showing, and when I try to dial out I get the same result.

Regards, DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, do you have a Modems section? If so, what do you have in there?
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Missing Item in Device Manager Reply with quote

Hi,

Under Modems I have one item:- Toshiba Software Modem. If I select properties, then General I get:- Device Type Modems, Manufacture Agere, Location PCI Bus 0, device 20, function 6. Device Status reports:- The device is working properly. If I then select Diagnostics and Query Modem it reports Success.

Also when I try and connect, with the volume turned up full, I hear a loud noise then silence. I do not hear anything else, whereas normally I like to hear it dialling out when it connects.

Regards, DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modem appears to be fine. It is responding to the computer. Check connectivity to the phone line, if this is OK, then try a telephone in the socket and ensure you get a dial tone.
DameBlanche

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Missing Item in Device Manager Reply with quote

Hi,

As I said in my initial post, I am using all the same cables and phone connections with the computer I use to speak with you. A telephone also gives a dial tone when connected in place of the laptop. Also living out in the country we only have a slow dial-up connection, so I can either use the phone or the laptop. So this was why I said that I thought it might be a hardware problem. Only not having a circuit diagram for the Toshiba makes it harder to resolve why I can't get on-line. Is there any easy way that I can check the hardware side?

Regards, DameBlanche
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you query the modem, it responds correctly. This suggests that both software and hardware are working OK on the computer. The no dial tone error suggests that the connectivity between the modem and the phone line is not working. If you have ruled out the phone line, socket and cable, then this suggests that the modem port on the laptop is probably faulty. In which case there is little you can do other than have it repaired by a professional.

You could try disabling detecting a dial tone before dialling, and reinstalling the modem drivers, however I doubt these will resolve the issue.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: