Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitor Problem at Startup

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
PCVirging

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Monitor Problem at Startup Reply with quote

I have a TINY PC & Monitor, had from new for approx 5 years or so. When I 1st Start Up, the monitor light goes very quickly from green (okay) to amber which is I guess a time out and nothing come on screen. The monitor has no on screen timer settings so what I have to do it keep on restarting the hard drive & monitor until it synchronises I guess with the start up function and then all is okay. Is this my monitor on the way out or something else I need to do within my PC ?
Very much appreciate some direction.
Thanks Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is unlikely to be a problem with the monitor. When it turns on it gives the green light, then after a few seconds detects no video input so goes in to standby - orange light on.

I suspect that the problem is that the PC is not always providing the video signal. This can be because of a variety of reasons, predominantly hardware related.

Does the PC make any beep noises when you turn it on? Most PCs will give a single beep when all is OK, do you get this on the times that it works? If so, do you get any beeps when it does not?

Also, do you have any other problems with the system once you get it working?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
PCVirging

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftyStag & thanks for trying to solve this annoying problem. The PC does not make any beep noises at all when 1st turned on. Mind you my speakers are not turned on at start up. should they ? Once the system is working, all is fine until. It's only a problem when I 1st turn it on. If the PC is not providing the video signal at all times, would this be a timing issue within the PC ? If so where would I go within maintenance to resolve ?
Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you don't normally get a beep then this suggests that this PC doesn't beep. You shouldn't need the speakers turned on to hear this beep as there is usually a small speaker inside the computer for this purpose.

The fact that the computer works after a few attempts suggests that something inside is not making a good contact, and only does so after it has warmed up a little. There are 2 things you can try here... One, you could take the computer to a local computer shop and pay them to look at it, or two, have a go at fixing it yourself.

The later option is not as bad as it sounds, although there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem, but you will need to delve inside the computer tower. I can guide you through this, however it may help if you can access the internet from another PC in case you need to ask questions whilst this one is otherwise out of action.

If you are prepared to go inside the computer and have a go, all you should need is a cross headed screwdriver. Plug the computer in to a wall socket, but have the wall socket switched OFF. This will keep the system earthed and prevent any static electricity from damaging the internal components when you are inside. This is perfectly safe. Then it is a case of removing the screws from the back of the PC to remove the casing. Usually you should only need to remove the 2 screws on the opposite side to where most of the cables plug in and then the side panel will slide back and out. Once inside, you will notice that there are a number of cables and circuit boards. If your computer has a separate graphics card, the monitor connector is usually horizontal when the tower is upright, if so, then you should see that this connects to a circuit board which in turn plugs in to the main circuit board. You need to remove the retaining screw to remove the graphics card, once the screw is out you can usually pull the board out, however it may have a retaining clip near the bottom. Once out, clean the contacts with a soft cotton cloth (no liquids) and put it back in place pushing firmly to ensure it is correctly seated. You can then put the retaining screw back in and put the case back together and see how it is. If this doesn't work there are a couple of other things we can try reseating inside, but this is the most likely.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
PCVirging

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & thanks for the advice. I'm going away for a short break but when back I'll give it a try. Thanks so much for your patience witgh me & help
Cheers
Very Happy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Enjoy your trip Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: