Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motherboard won't accept more than 2gb of RAM

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Jimin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Motherboard won't accept more than 2gb of RAM Reply with quote

Hi

This is my first post here, so hello, and thanks in anticipation of your valuable assistance.

I went a bit mad on Ebay the other day and bought 2 2gb RAM modules for my desktop, having used the Orca memory scanner to find out exactly what I needed.

When I installed both modules, the memory check at startup went to approximately 2.5gb, then stopped, and an error message read, 'Keyboard locked' and the computer would go no further. when I removed one of the modules, 2gb were recognised and everything was ok. I tried replacing the original 1gb module alongside one of the new ones and the same thing happened.

Now according to the memory scanner, my Foxconn K8M890-8237A motherboard will accept 4gb. I know Windows might not recognise all of it but that doesn't bother me.

Any ideas why only 2gb would be registered? I've looked at the BIOS but can't find any specific RAM settings.

I'm not a total newcomer to computers, but not an IT expert either...

If anyone can help I'd be very appreciative.

Jim
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimin

According to Foxconn's website, the K8M890 range support a max of 2Gb. I would suspect that this is the problem.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Jimin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SoftStag

Yeah someone on another forum pointed this out. I feel a bit daft although the Orca scanner told me otherwise, and when I tried to find my board on the Foxconn website I couldn't.

Ah well, back onto Ebay they go...

Cheers!
demdike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good reason not to buy from Ebay....
by the time this memory has been handled and resold multiple times whats the chances of it actually working?
Jimin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they were brand new in the packaging, Kingston brand. I sold the one I didn't want and got good feedback, it worked fine.

There are good sellers on Ebay, feedback is a good barometer of what you can expect, I find.
demdike

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimin wrote:
Well they were brand new in the packaging, Kingston brand. I sold the one I didn't want and got good feedback, it worked fine.

There are good sellers on Ebay, feedback is a good barometer of what you can expect, I find.

my comment was not aimed at good or bad feedback
But solely at the fact that I would not want to buy on Ebay something which had been used in this way by the previous owner.
The risk of damage is too high, and there is no realistic chance of a warranty claim if it does fail
Jimin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough, but my point would be that the memory was advertised as new and unused, which it was, and I trusted that because the feedback given to the advertiser was excellent. So it was a good deal all round.
demdike

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what about YOUR customer - the guy who bought it from you?
It certainly was NOT "new and unused" by the time he got it
Jimin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the person who bought it from me? He was perfectly happy with the item. As was the guy who bought the old stick I removed from my PC. Neither of which I advertised as new and unused, because I am an honest Ebayer. Check my feedback if you like, seller id ohcorblimey.

I don't see the point of your posts. My problem has been solved for which I am grateful. Everyone with the memory is happy. If you have a problem with Ebay it's your problem, not mine.

Cheers

Jim
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now! Issue resolved, thread closed. Enough said! Smile
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: