Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouse & Windows 7 problem or Virus?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Deviant-Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Mouse & Windows 7 problem or Virus? Reply with quote

First post on this site. . . hello,

I have a problem with my Logitech mouse and it appears it is also having an effect upon Windows 7.

I have a Logitech HID Mouse that worked fine until today, and now there is no right click functionality. Occasionally when static, or clicking the left button on the mouse, it acts as if I'm pressing the right button. Sometimes everything freezes and I can't use my browser tabs, or when I go to the bottom of the screen to bring up the task-bar (I always have this hidden), this is also frozen. My temporary solution is to press (Ctrl+Alt-Del) as if to start the task manager, but then I actually close it down and I can move across the tabs again, and also use the task-bar. This unfreezes everything, but the right-click functionality is still however disabled.

I don't know what the problem is, I have checked for viruses (nothing), used S & D (nothing), and also checked the registry (nothing).

Please can anyone help and advise - I still think this could be some kind of virus or malware, but nothing was found.

I have Windows 7 OS.

[Not sure if this helps, but when I look in the device manager there are at least 4 or 5 entries of each of the following: HID-compliant consumer controlled device; HID-compliant device; USB Input Device - I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Logitech drivers etc. . .]

Many thanks,

Iain
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you installed the Logitech drivers and software which came with the mouse? As a rule thats a pointless bit of software that often causes more problems than it cures. Uninstall it. Also uninstall any instances of "Logitech Desktop Communicator" (which is little more than advertising spamware)
Once you get rid of that you usually find Logitech mice start behaving again. If it does not, remove ALL mouse entries from device manager and reboot.
If it still wont work, try the mouse in another USB port (assuming it is a USB mouse). If it wont work after that, its probably failed. Or theres something else going on...
Try another, preferably not a Logitech one (or if you do get one, DON'T install their crudware software - windows has drivers that will work acceptably)

An afterthought - the system locking in this way could be consistent with a failing hard drive with read / write problems. If you can ID the hard drive maker it would be a good idea to download the relevant hard drive test disk ISO and check the drive status. If you can give the model number of the drive (usually visible in device manager) it should be possible to point you toward the correct download
Deviant-Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS, thanks, I will give this a go, last thing before I go to bed, up early for work etc. . .

Hopefully, this will solve the problem?

many thanks. . .

Iain
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another afterthought....
it wouldn't do any harm to quickly download and run "Hitman Pro" on the machine to check for a rootkit. Spybot can't see them all, nor can some AV programs
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: