Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mozilla firefox tweak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Mozilla firefox tweak Reply with quote

How do i improve firefox so that it loads faster ?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean load the program, or load web pages?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both, if that is possible
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeding up the time of loading the program is not easy. Basically, you need to ensure that you have plenty of RAM in your system to prevent the use of swap files, and also keep your hard drive defragmented.

In order to tweak Firefox to give you better performance at loading web pages, requires configuring Firefox in accordance with the specification of your PC and internet connection. The following should help, but if you can give me more detail of your PC specification and the type of internet connection and it's speed, then I can suggest some further tweaks.

Arrow In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter
Arrow Find network.http.pipelining and ensure it is set to True, if not double click to change the value
Arrow Find network.http.pipelining.maxrequests and set the value to 8
Arrow Find network.http.proxy.pipelining and set the value to True
Arrow Find nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the value to 0 (note that this value is often not there by default, if not then right click, select New - Interger, give it the name nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the value to 0)

These settings enable pipelining which enables multiple data requests, basically speeding up the fetching of data. The last setting slows down the display of the entire page, however it starts to render it sooner, allowing you to start reading the page before it has finished rendering. This gives the illusion of quicker load speeds.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."

Last edited by SoftStag on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentium 4 3Ghz, 512MB RAM, Mozilla firefox 1.0
I'm using a 56k dial up connection most of the time
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Arrow In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter
Arrow Find network.http.pipelining and ensure it is set to True, if not double click to change the value
Arrow Find network.http.pipelining.maxrequests and set the value to 8
Arrow Find network.http.proxy.pipelining and set the value to True
Arrow Find nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the value to 0 (note that this value is often not there by default, if not then right click, select New - Interger, give it the name nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the value to 0)

Hey thanks SoftStag - that really does work!!!!

Can you give us some tips for different setups? I have 2 PCs, one in the UK and a laptop that goes between the UK and India. My connection in the UK is 4mbps, and in India 256kbps (I know, it's slow!!!!!!!). The laptop is an AMD 64 3GHz with 512Mb, and the desktop is a AMD 2.5GHz with 1Gb RAM. Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So there is more than one person interested in this. I'm not advising everyone on an individual basis, so I wrote this article:

Arrow Fine Tuning Firefox
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgraded from Mozilla firefox version 1 to 2.0.0.6, I notice there is a slight lag (3 to 4 seconds) when saving pictures as jpeg through right clicking the image and click "save image as "

This does not occur in the previous versions of firefox. I'm saving the jpegs to the C drive and the pics are about 80 to 200 KB in size.

My connection is 512kbps, this problem also occurs on another PC running Win XP SP2 with a similar firefox version.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also wondering if Firefox downloads the images again when I right click the pic and select save image as. The pics appear in the firefox download box everytime i save them despite I have set 500 MB for cache and clearing it every other day.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be running 2.0.0.7 - this is the latest current version. It is important to keep it up to date to ensure that any security holes are plugged.

There shouldn't be a significant delay in selecting to save a picture and it doing it. The file is taken from the cache, not downloaded again. You can test this by disconnecting from the internet before trying to save it. The time will depend upon the PC specification, the number of processes running and the available memory. On my pc with a Core2Duo and 2Gb of RAM, it appears almost instantaneous. I note on another PC with 512Mb RAM and bloated with software it is slower.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If firefox copies the file from cache, why does it appear in the download box?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the way Firefox works. Technically the file has been downloaded, first to the cache, and then taken and copied to where you want it.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: