Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My computer seems incompatible with security software!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: My computer seems incompatible with security software! Reply with quote

When I bought my second-hand Acer Aspire laptop a few months ago, I had massive difficulties to begin with - first with 'Infinite Loop' and then with the battery. In the former case I was able to get it sussed thanks to support from experts in this forum, and in the latter case once it became obvious that my computer couldn't run on battery I gave up trying to take it off mains. But now something completely different and far more annoying has come up.

If I recall correctly, the computer came with AVG Free installed, but this soon went out-of-date. By reinstalling it, I was able to satisfy Windows that security settings were up-to-date, for just another few weeks, then it went out-of-date again. I decided to make one last attempt to reinstall it before taking the plunge and buying the full version; and when I did so, I took the option of making AVG Yahoo! my default search toolbar, as I had done last time round. But once the reinstallation was complete I was unable to access any webpages at all even though my Wireless connection was fine; and one of my housemates, whom I'd previously forgotten actually works in IT support, was unable to find a way of uninstalling the toolbar without uninstalling the whole AVG Free package, which I did - and was immediately able to start surfing again. He then recommended that I download the free 30-day trial version of ESST Smart Security 4 with a view to buying the full version if it worked; and, lo and behold, after doing that I find myself once again unable to surf the web! [I am writing this on another housemate's computer.] The 'Diagnose Connectivity Problem' option has proven completely ineffective, as before.

There was no 'extra' stuff like search toolbars this time round; and my IT support housemate said on the phone that I should try switching ESST from 'total protection' to a lower level I can't remember the name of (basically enabling other computers in the network to see mine???) and temporarily disabling the Personal Firewall, neither of which made any difference, before uninstalling ESST. I am sure if I do this I will once again be able to surf without trouble; but unless I'm doing something horribly wrong then I will be left with the conclusion that my computer is somehow completely incompatible with all security software! Which will totally suck, as it means I'll be at risk of contracting a virus or getting spied on any time, and won't be able to even contemplate stuff like online banking, which I really need.

Anyone got any ideas?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any reason why your computer would be incompatible with security software. It is more likely that you have more than one installed and these are conflicting and causing you problems.

In the first instance I would uninstall all of the security software that you have. This includes any anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software. You can enable the Windows firewall, as this gives some protection. You should now be able to access the internet.

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation, you should have at least some AV software installed. Personally, I use AVG Free, but you can decide what you want. Now install this software and configure it to automatically update. Confirm that you can still access the internet and hopefully all should be well.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag

In the end I just gave up and uninstalled ESET, and was able to surf again. My housemate who works in IT could only suggest that I check the Windows Firewall to see if that might be the root of the problem, but that turned out to have been switched off the whole time.

If you could suggest a quick and easy way of doing a thorough sweep to make sure there's nothing else 'clogging up the system' then that might be helpful, except for one rather major sticking point: throughout the whole saga my computer had been urging me to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, and I initially decided to wait until the security issue was sorted out; but then I found myself unable to play videos properly on YouTube, which actually said that soon it wouldn't be supporting IE6 and that I must upgrade to IE8, Google Chrome or something else (possibly Mozilla Firefox?); so, partly in hope that this might sort out the security, but more in weary resignation to the fact that there was something seriously wrong with my machine and that I'd soon have no choice but to take it to a repair shop, I installed IE8, and am once again unable to surf. I'd actually turned on the Windows firewall after uninstalling ESET, but after installing IE8 I found that the firewall had been turned off again.

Any suggestions as to what I might do now before I bite the bullet and cough up the costs?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be so many things causing that issue. Whereabouts are you based?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run HijackThis and post the log, it will show what is running and what is configured to run (amongst other things). This may help to diagnose what is causing the issue.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will running 'hijack this' do any good now I've installed IE8 and am once again unable to surf?
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you were after?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 18:56:56, on 13/07/2009

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=27986

O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab

O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab

O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--

End of file - 4532 bytes
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mshower1ng wrote:
Is this what you were after?
Yes! Smile

OK, it looks like you are running Zone Alarm - this is personal firewall software and is probably what is blocking your internet connection. I would recommend you uninstall this for the time being, then check to see if you can access the internet.

I can see you have had Spybot Search and Destroy installed as well, has this been removed through Add/Remove Programs?
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks softstag. My other housemate actually got it sussed, so I disabled ZoneAlarm, was able to surf again, reinstalled the ESET free trial, and ran an overnight scan which detected ZoneAlarm as an infected file, so I promptly deleted it.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: