Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my HP Compaq dx7200 Slim Tower need a new 700w psu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: my HP Compaq dx7200 Slim Tower need a new 700w psu Reply with quote

i just got a new video card for my dx7200 Slim Tower hp it fits and evey thing but it needs a 300w psu and the psu in my dx7200 Slim Tower right now is only a 240w can anyone help me find a psu that will run my video card and my comp well and will fit in the HP dx7200 Slim Tower here is a like to my video card on ebay PLZZZ HELP I NEED IT

this is an ebay site nothing bad http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVGA-PCIe-GT430-1GB-Low-Profile-GPU-/220806404545?pt=AU_Components&hash=item33691659c1
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) your title says 700w PSU, the body of your message says 300w. Which is it?
2) does the card need any power inputs? are there any power connectors on the card? If so, how many, many socktets and how many pins in each?
3) the e-bay page is in Australia. None of the helpers on this site are in Australia, so - assuming you are in Oz - its hard for us to point you at a potential supplier

However any PSU of the correct rating, with the correct power plugs will do. PSUs are cheap commodity items. Branding is irrelevant
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: replay Reply with quote

it says that the video card needs 300w and i have a 240w defalt psu do u think that the psu iv got right now will run the card and the card is a pci card so i think that mean that is takes its power from the mother bord
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

240W isn't much for a system, even 300W is pretty low. That said it really depends on how good the power supply is (can it sustain 240W continuously). Try it, if the system keeps crashing, or won't boot up, then it doesn't work. If it appears to run normally for extended periods of time, then it'll probably be OK.

Some graphics cards have a power socket on them as they take more power than the slot can provide, you need to check the card for a power connector, and if it's there ensure you connect it up to the power supply.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: thx man that helped and when the card gets here ill do that Reply with quote

thx man that helped and when the card gets here ill do that and ill get back to u be sure to keep in touch coz u seem to know wat u talking bout
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just reread your mail and realised you've got one of the HP small form factor machines. Sorry, I didn't pick up on that before. You may ht a problem here - as far as i can remember the PSU in that is non-standard.

Besides which those cases don't have a lot of cooling ability - I have worries whether it could cope with the extra heat from the card, and especially from a bigger PSU

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12259_div/12259_div.HTML

Last edited by JonS on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: so.. Reply with quote

so what sould i do can anyone find a video card that will 1 fit in my pc and 2 my pcu will take it plzz ?
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked - that video card will fit OK, it has an exchangeable replacement low level backplane

the only issue is the PSU. Does yours look like
micro-ATX
http://cpc.farnell.com/atrix/300u/psu-300w-micro-atx/dp/CS1529
or TFX
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/mpt-303/psu-tfx1-300w/dp/CS11791

both of these are small form factor units. Neither are commonly used, though both are "standards". Check the dimensions - does either match what you already have?

Note that with either of these you may need additional adaptors for SATA connectors, and a 20>24-way motherboard adaptor. If the motherboard has the additional 4-way socket then they can't be made to work
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: looks like Reply with quote

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/bykiyqbgkkgrhgohcsejlll.jpg/

it looks like that hope that link works if not plzz tell me and could u look 4 a video card 4 my current pcu if thats ok do u think i sould just buy a new case and put all the shit in there?
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not going to find a replacement for that anywhere except HP
That PSU is completely non-standard

The graphics card should fit OK with the low-level backplane fitted, so don't worry about that

If the machine won't boot with the new card, then a rebuild into a new case is really the only option - but will the motheboard fit? Some of these SFF boards are the wrong size for an ATX or m-ATX case
IAmTicTac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: but.. Reply with quote

but do u think it will boot or just f*ck up my psu or blow up my psu is that a worry
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
If the machine won't boot with the new card, then a rebuild into a new case is really the only option - but will the motheboard fit? Some of these SFF boards are the wrong size for an ATX or m-ATX case

Doubt the board will fit in another case. You have a bit of a Frankenstein thing going on - remove the old PSU, and have a standard PSU outside the case with the cables running in to the PC. Not pretty, maybe not the safest if you have pets and/or children, but cheaper than a new PC! lol

IAmTicTac wrote:
but do u think it will boot or just f*ck up my psu or blow up my psu is that a worry

Try it, it won't harm anything. As I mentioned in my previous post, if it can't provide the power the PC will not boot or crash. Reverting back to the original config will leave it as it is now.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: