Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My mouse freezes every time I switch on my printer

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
JavOK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: My mouse freezes every time I switch on my printer Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me with this problem as I am extremely frustrated! I do alot of printing and it means I have to navigate with my keyboard only which drives me mad!

In the last week or so, my mouse freezes as soon as I switch on my Epsom R300 Printer. They are both connected via USB and both have been working perfectly together for ages, this problem has appeared from nowhwere, nothing in my pc set up has changed other than installing a Netgear DG834GT Router but I can't see how this would cause the problem.

I have reinstalled my printer to see if it resolved the problem but to no avail, I have tried both items in different USB ports and this didn't work either. There are no conflicts showing in Device Manager.

Does anyone have any ideas please other than going back to a PS2 mouse?

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first instance I would try enabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS. To do this requires rebooting the computer and entering the BIOS Setup. How to do this will normally be in your computer documentation, or if you look at the bottom of the screen immediately after turning on the computer you will see something that says something like "Press <Del> to enter Setup" - in this instance you would press the Delete (or Del) key on the keyboard.

Once you have got in to setup, you will need to find the setting for USB Legacy Support (may say something slightly different). On may computers this is in a section called Integrated Peripherals.

You need to ensure the US Legacy Support setting is set to Enabled (or equivalent), then come out of the BIOS saving the settings (usually press F10 to exit).

Note that the mouse does not usually work in BIOS setup, you need to navigate with the cursor keys, and Enter to make a selection. To change settings you with either need to use Page Up/Down keys or +/- keys, or in some cases press Enter on the selection and it will give you the options to select from.

Once you have exited the BIOS, the computer should reboot and go in to Windows normally. Once there, try again with the printer.

If the problem still persists, it would help if you can tell us more about the computer - make, model, operating system, what's attached, etc.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JavOK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I followed your suggestion and enabled USB LEGACY SUPPORT but it did not solve the problem.

I really don't understand why this would happen all of a sudden as my set up has been the same for a long time. The only changes recently have been the addition of the Netgear Router and also installing Windows XP SP2

My pc set up is as follows:

AMD ATHLON 3200+ PROCESSOR
512MB RAM
WINDOWS XP SP2
EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R300 PRINTER (VIA USB)
XEROX SCANNER (VIA USB)
NETGEAR ROUTER (VIA ETHERNET CABLE)
OPTICAL MOUSE (VIA USB)
KEYBOARD (VIA PS2)

I hope this information is useful in helping me solve this problem as it is a nightmare not being able to use my mouse whenever the printer is switched on!

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the information. It would be useful if you know what motherboard is in your computer. If you do the following and post the results, it will help identify your system configuration in a little more detail:

Arrow Click Start then Help and Support
Arrow Click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems on the right hand side
Arrow Click Advanced System Information from the menu at the left
Arrow Click View detailed system information (Msinfo32.exe)
Arrow In the new window, make sure System Summary is selected then click Edit and Select All. This should highlight everything in the right hand pane.
Arrow Now click Edit and Copy. This should copy all that information on to the clipboard. Please paste this in to a post on the forum so we can see what info is there.

This information should (it does in many cases) provide us with enough information to identify the motherboard. From which we can look in to how best to proceed.

In the meantime, try unplugging your USB scanner from your PC, and see if that has any effect.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
JavOK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,

I have pasted my system details below but I also have some more information that is relevant.....

I borrowed a USB mouse from work as I wanted to know if a different mouse encountered the same problem and it didn't! The borrowed mouse works perfectly with my printer switched on. Not only that, I attached a USB to PS2 adapter to my existing mouse and connected it to PS2 and that also worked perfectly with the printer turned on.

So in summary, when the printer is on my existing mouse works fine as long as it's connected to PS2 via an adapter but doesn't work when connected via USB only and also a different USB mouse works fine when connected via USB.

Does this make any sense to you?

My system details are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME-UG9ATYXRMG
System Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.
System Model K7S8XE
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2199 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 16/12/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HOME-UG9ATYXRMG\JAV
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 210.65 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying and it looks like you have a work around for the problem.

There are a few other setting in the BIOS setup that you could try adjusting:
Arrow Power Management - Disabled
Arrow Plug and Play Operating System - Enabled
Arrow IRQ's Assigned - Auto or Operating System
Arrow Write Pipeline Cache - Disabled (if this is enabled, and disabling does not work, then return to enabled)
Arrow System Bios Cacheable - Disabled
Arrow Chip Performance Speed - Normal

From the details you sent, the USB chipset on your motherboard is not known for causing problems. The router should have no effect at all on this problem.
JavOK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SoftStag,

So sorry for taking so long to respond but I have been mega busy.

This may sound stupid of me but I have gone into the BIOS and I cannot find any of the items you mentioned in your last reply i.e. Power Management, Plug and Play Operating System, IRQ's Assigned, Write Pipeline Cache, System Bios Cacheable and Chip performance Speed.

I really do appreciate the time & effort you are giving me!

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIOS settings differ from motherboard to motherboard. Not all have all the settings, and different ones use different names for some settings. To be honest, I don't think changing the settings are likely to make a difference. I've kind of run out of suggestions, other than get a new mouse!

At least you seem to have a work around for this problem, it seems to be one of those strange inexplicable incompatibility issues....
JavOK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Softstag,

Really appreciate your efforts, it was just one of those really annoying problems but yes, you are right, I have found a solution by using a USB to PS2 adapter so I guess that will suffice.

Take care mate & keep up the fantastic work

Jav
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ur better off using the PS2 for the mouse anyway, it frees up a USB slot for something else Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JavOK wrote:
No problem Softstag,

Really appreciate your efforts, it was just one of those really annoying problems but yes, you are right, I have found a solution by using a USB to PS2 adapter so I guess that will suffice.

Take care mate & keep up the fantastic work

You're welcome mate. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: