Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY PC stopped turning on after removing a virus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
leven72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: MY PC stopped turning on after removing a virus Reply with quote

When clicking on links found through search engines on firefox I was being taken to the same page Gomeo (or something like that) and rarely taken to the page I was trying to get to. I looked up the problem on the internet and found general advice saying I had a virus and should download removal software and run it and this should sort the problem.

I download some super virus removal software and ran it and it found many ads and 2 serious threats. It quarantined these and asked me to restart my PC. However, when I did the problem persisted. I then downloaded Ad-aware and ran this. It only found 1 threat (I guess the earlier programme had removed the rest) which it quarantined and asked me to restart my PC. I did so but my PC will not restart. It gets so far into the starting up procedure and you hear it click (like it is switching off) and it restarts this again. This process continued until I pressed in the power button on the PC. In fact at one point the PC switched itself on and started this procedure by itself. I have now disconnected it fully from the power. When I switch it back on (after disconnection from the power) it says WEindows has not started properly and it offers me Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Networking; Connect to Windows using last working configurations and Connect to windows normally. Neither Connect to Windows Normally or using Last Working Configeration works as it starts up the problem mentioned switching itself off and restarting. I have not tried safe mode as I would not really know what to do in safe mode.

It appears my PC has stopped working as a result of attempting to remove the virus but maybe this is only coincidence. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thank you for any help.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the system files were infected. These were identified by the software you used and deleted or quarantined
Files affected are usually explorer.exe and userinit.exe, but the registry could be affected as well
Only way out of this one is to boot with a live CD, try to identify the missing files and then copy them back off another machine, and maybe manual restore the registry. Easier to to in Windows XP, much harder in Vista / 7 (you don't say which version you have)
Your comment about the clicking noise may also suggest the boot sector on the drive may have been killed as well. Its probably fixable, but not something to try and teach through this forum

two choices really: get someone professional to fix it for you, or take the nuclear option of reloading it back to factory settings

You used Ad-Aware - do you have a record of exactly what is removed? Or what the other program removed?
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try booting in to Safe Mode, really to see if it will. If major system files have been removed as Jon suspects, then it will not boot.

If you have a Windows CD, reinstalling Windows over the existing installation may give you a working system. This may be worthwhile to get any data off the system before doing a format and reinstall or reload factory preload in order to ensure the system is clean of any malware.
leven72

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The PC is second hand but new to me (I suspect it had the virus before I got it) so I do not have much on it. Therefore I am happy to just reload the factory settings. From what you have said it sounds like anything saved on the PC will be lost. This would be fine with me as there things saved on it from the previous owner that I don't want but it would take a lot of effort to go through and delete everything. However, as it is second hand I was not given any disks with it. Is the only way to reset it to factory settings to get a copy of the windows XP installation CD? If so can this be got from Windows if I provide details of the PC (serial numbers etc) proving that I had a legitimate copy? Is there a cost?
Assuming that I can obtain a copy of the windows installation disk how do I run it with the PC in the condition it is in?
I did not keep a copy of what was removed so I am not sure what sort of virus it was.
I have not tried safe mode yet as my access to the internet is restricted by not having my home PC (which is why I am only accessing the response now). If as Steve says Safe Mode will not boot is it still possible to reload windows from a CD?
Thanks for any help.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 options being talked about here:

1) Reload the PC back to factory preload (you lose any data)
2) Try reloading Windows over the current installation (data should stay intact, but may not resolve all issues)
3) Format the PC and install a fresh copy of Windows (you lose any data)

The first option would normally require a reload CD from the manufacturer, if you can supply the make and model of the PC we may be able to help advise how to obtain one of these should they exist. This is the nicest option as it will give you a system with the software as though it were fresh out of the factory.

Options 2&3 require a Windows CD. You should have a licence for Windows in order to do this, it is usually stuck to the bottom of the laptop or back/top/bottom of the PC and has the product key written on it. If you can borrow a corresponding Windows CD from a friend then this should work fine. There are copies available from dubious sources on the internet, I would avoid these if possible as they can contain malware.

Option 3 is the hardest, as you need to install Windows yourself (we can guide you on doing this), and you will need to locate, download and install drivers for various parts of the PC to work correctly (we can guide you on this if we know what PC you have).

I would avoid option 2 as really you have no idea what is on the PC, so it is best to clear everything off and start a fresh.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some machines can be reset with a specific key combination at bootup, but that depends on make / model - and version of windows
As Steve says, if you can give us that then maybe we can point you in the right direction
leven72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will get back to you asap with the make and model of the PC. I think the make is e-machines but I will check the model. Option one does seems the best if I can get a reload CD from the manufacturer.

Not sure if its still relevant but for the record the PC does not boot into Safe Mode either. The same problem I first described happens when you try to go into safe mode too.

Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I can remember WinXP E-machines systems sold in the UK all need a "System Angel" set of recovery disks from "The Tech Guys"
I think they're model specific as well
Other option is to reformat / reload using a real windows XP CD - but they're not on the market any more. To be honest it probably would not cost any more to get a PC tech to reload it for you, compared with buying a set of disks
leven72

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in getting this information to you but the make and model of my PC is e193fpc and it is an emachines make. I can provide the serial nuimber if needed. If recovery disks are needed please let me know as if it is too expensive then I will have to take it to a professional.

Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm
e193fpc seems to correspond to a Dell monitor, not an eMachines PC
Are you reading that model number off the monitor?

Some eMachines machines can be reset by holding the F11 key at startup. Others need a disk - I don't know which will be the case with yours
You may need to call their UK support team - see http://www.emachines.co.uk/em/contact_us.do?ctx1w.att21k=2&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1l.c2att1=17&CRC=2808971427

However if you have to buy a set of disks, you may simply be better getting an IT pro to come and reload if from scratch
leven72

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I got my kid to check the model number and she thought the monitor was the same as the computer. Anyway the model number is emachines 5230. I will check the F11 thing and try the support team.

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being a Vista machine, the F11 should work. Just reboot and you should get a prompt saying Press F11 to start recovery or similar; then follow the on-screen instructions.

If I remember correctly, it should allow you to back up data somewhere safely, however I would recommend doing a separate backup to an external source for peace of mind before running the reload.

Note the reload can take 30 mins or more to complete. Don't turn the PC off part way through!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: