Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help Installing Thumb Drive - Windows 98 FE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
new2computers2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Need Help Installing Thumb Drive - Windows 98 FE Reply with quote

I have a Pentium IV computer, but due to recent rain damage I am using my backup computer. My backup computer is a Compaq Desk Pro Pentium II 400 MHZ processor, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB hard drive with 900 MB free. My programs use most of the memory and there is almost nothing left.

I am planning to get a new computer and I need to transfer files from my backup computer (no CD ROM) via thumb drive to the new computer.

HOW CAN I INSTALL A THUMB DRIVE IN Windows 98 FE?

1. I went to the following site below and upgraded Windows 98 with a Service Pack.

2. I turned off my computer and rebooted, then installed nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe.

Nothing happened and the computer did not see or recognize my flash drive. What did I do wrong?

Version 4.10.1998 is the original version of Windows 98 (98FE)
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

Service Pack
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/drivers/FESP230EN-R.EXE

USB DRIVERS
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/drivers/nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Topic moved to Helproom}

Do you get any problems devices showing in Device Manager? It could be that you tried to get the drive working before the generic drivers were installed and Windows has them installed without correct drivers - when you plug the drive in it is still configured for the incorrect drivers.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
datababe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# Remove ALL drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager
# Remove ALL drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers (many have an uninstall option)
# Remove ALL unknown devices from Device Manager

I may have had some unknown devices left over from previous attempts, tho I didn't see them. I definitely had a previous driver for the USB *controller*, which I did NOT uninstall before running nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe (did that deliberately, to see what would happen - and I was a little nervous about blowing away the driver for the controller itself)). I had the same problem you did. Backed up and followed all 3 of the above to a T, reinstalled nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe, rebooted, and now my old Toshiba PII w/Win98FE is working with a number of thumb drives it never could talk to before (THANKS GUYS!!).

Ironically the one thumb drive I've tried so far that it still won't pick up is an 8GB made by...Toshiba. Wink
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that the 8Gb drive is detected (appears in Device Manager) but doesn't appear in My Computer? If so, then it is probably formatted with NTFS, which Windows 98 does not support. The solution would be to repartition the drive and format with FAT32.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
datababe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't detected in Device Manager nor does it show up in Windows Explorer. The drive is formatted as FAT32. I tried plugging this one in to this laptop a few times in the past, and after unsuccessfully searching for a resident driver Win98 would report it back as an unknown USB device with no installed driver. Maybe something left over from that? I did remove all previous "unknown" devices - but that was prior to my second install of the generic USB drivers. The first go around I may have missed something.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the device plugged in, find the unknown device for it in Device Manager, and delete the entry. Now remove and reinsert the drive. If this doesn't work, then it's probably just incompatible with the drivers.
datababe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have another look at Device Manager with it plugged in again; pretty sure it didn't show up even as an unknown there last time...

Now, I came across something interesting:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18654.html

The thread is loooong and STILL going as of this Feb, so I'll just pick out what caught my eye:

Quote:
Little while ago I brought Samsung USB 2.0 512MB OEM Pack. For few week I have copied data from one computer to another (with different operating system). Last time I used my Memory stick in XP...copy the stuff from memory stick to computer with 2000 and plug the memory stick into win 98... as it didn't have suitable USB driver it doesn't work. So I took out the memory stick from it. Next day when try to copy some stuff on it (Win Nt) system said it write protect, I need to remove write protection. I try to format it but same result . Now it has happen on every computer and every operating system. I can't see any physical switch...
Please help .... Operating System : Microsoft Windows 98,NT 4.0 and 2000
CPU/Processor : AMD

Hmmm. I am having the same problem with an old 1GB HAL9000 thumb drive that I was using on my Win98 machine this morning (after finally getting the machine to SEE it!). All of a sudden my WinXP laptop is announcing the drive is write protected. Further along in the thread I saw something that rang an old bell:
Quote:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

- Double click on the string ‘WriteProtect’ and change the ‘Value Data’ box to ‘0’

I didn't have a StorageDevicePolicies key in my CurrentControlSet, nor any of the others (but after a reg backup, I do now...). Before I proceed much further, however, does this sound familar....?

So far *knock wood* I have 2 other thumb drives I'm fiddling with that seem to go back and forth fine between my eldest and youngest boxen, so my problem may just be a doddering device (these HALs don't stand up very well). I'm off to fiddle a bit more while the paint dries (er, a laptop gets scanned)...
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: