Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Objective Feedback on New System

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Jilly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Need Objective Feedback on New System Reply with quote

Hi, All (based across The Pond)!

This is my first visit.

I hope not self indulgent, as my 3 current systems could not be healthier and happier, I have learned to keep them that way.

But I am having one of my intense greed for speed attacks. I am lusting for this system offered by an eBay vendor I got the system I am on now from.….tho I upgrade things…..Very reliable vendor officially hooked up with Dell.

For my desktops, I only get Optiplexes. Made beautifully to last, great engineering, and, I should say right off, while I can, OK, replace mobos and own Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, I do not have the skillset to choose components to build a custom rig; just the thought of it makes me seriously nauseated, lol. Plus, my take is even choosing every element carefully and properly re a custom build, what I end up with going the above route, I could not build for the money I end up giving.

Now, my fastest system (I am on now) is Optiplex GX620; P-D (Presler, 945), 3.40; 3 GBs of DDR2. I am running XP Pro. I upgraded the PSU to an Antec 430W I use integrated video, am not a gamer and do not need more; added a second HDD internally (SATA 2) and use the singularly fabulous XXclone……the geniuses at Pixelabs are there in the UK, so my drives are clones and I can boot into either one; I do incremental updates on the backup drive every couple of weeks.

Here is the puppy I now have greed for speed lust for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130310356732

This chip is the fastest Dell offers within the Opti line. Pay no attention to refurbished, their systems are in perfect shape; I speak from first hand experience; getting this puppy new from Dell per se would be way more money.

I would load XP Pro as usual---only time will tell if W7 is another catastrophe/joke or not…..I think the 4 GBs of ram in this system would not be a problem tho XP can only use little over 3….if necessary, I would remove a stick or two. This board maxes out at 8 GBs. I would install the Antec PSU now in this system, and use my current backup drive for the same function in the new system. (If I don’t have internal backup in a desktop, I can not sleep.)

I am in serious need of expert feedback from human(s) not in the throes of lust for speed and so, objective & sane, to help me make informed decision re this system…..esp what kinda boost in performance I would experience with it versus the one I am on now with above specs.

Cause trust me, right now, I can not be trusted on my own. lol

Thanks so much in advance!

Jilly

PS, to put things in perspective, you still can't get this chip anywhere for under $300.
Jilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

In hopes of saving fine people here wasted time, and at the risk of coming across as a little, OK, unstable…..or some rabid puter slut---lol, pls let me say I have now fallen out of luv with the 960 I solicited feedback on, have discovered a new Dell line I did not know existed, the amazing i7 chip which puts those in the 960 to shame, has DDR3 ram…..cutting edge chipset.

Here is one offered by the vendor I know and trust in Dallas:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390056962743&_trksid=p2759.l1259
Only issue: I like big towers. Ones I can almost fit INTO. Being small this is not a total joke. But more accurately, re desktops I like big towers as I can work in them easily, they are upgradeable and the airflow is optimal. Small and light fab for lappy, I have Alienware Sentia which fits the bill. But re desktops, I only want big towers.

I emailed James at this vendor to let me know if he has this in the bigger tower configuration and how much and re downgrade to XP.

I then came upon my, OMG, ultimate, all time dream system- machine within this new Dell line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250427082010

Only teeeeeeny problem: at $3,339 (still way less than at Dell) it’s $2.339 (plus shipping) more than I am willing to pay for my next system. I can only go 1K.

Unless, that is, it comes with a Ferrari. lol

Thanks for yr tolerance.. I await feedback, now, on the i7 chip, the DDR3 ram and this new Dell line I have fallen in luv with. This time it's not infatuation. I am almost positive. lol
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: