Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network connection shows that its connected but no internet!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
rubberduckgb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Network connection shows that its connected but no internet! Reply with quote

I have two wireless laptops.

Both windows 7.

One laptop now has no internet connecton!

It connects to router but says no internet connection - displays a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in miidle.

However, I can connect to internet through my other laptop (wirelessly) and even access the router via 192.168.1.1 (adim account), and browse the web.
So whats up?

I dont think its a router setting problem as my other laptop still works with the wireless router. Any ideas PLZ - router is a WAG54GS LYNSYS (over two years old so out of tech. support from LYNSYS)
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked those Linksys routers - I've had real bad experiences with them.

In this particular case it could the routher throwing a fit, a wireless card not working properly, a driver issue, incorrect DNS settings on the PC.. the list goes on..

Essentially you need to go through everything step by step
First reset the router to defaults and then set it up again. One problem I've found with this model is that it does not release IP addresses when it allocates a new one - so after a period of time it runs of addresses. Usually only a problem in somewhere with a high turnover of connected PC's like a hotel or B&B - but reset it anyway
Next check for updated drivers for the wireless card in the PC
Delete and remake the wireless conenction, paying close attention to whether its WPA or WEP -and if WEP, "open" or "shared"
Check the DNS and gateway settings for the wireless connection
IS there a chance that the machine can only handle "B" and the router is only putting on "N"?

Just some ideas, but impossible to be more exact - especially as you give no details of the computers or operating systems involved, how the network is configured, or of what is actually happening
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: