Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

network problems

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
navigator87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: network problems Reply with quote

i decided to set up a small wireless network so my pc and 360 communicate for streaming films etc.
xbox is linked fine(using the new version 360 with built in wifi) and i'm using a belkin f5d9630-4 adsl2 G router that's up and running no probs, wep enabled.
on pc i'm using the edimax ew-7811un usb thats fully functional; as i have xp64 am using the most up to date driver for 64bit os from their site.

its picking up the router-full signal strength, input wep and its all good, but i'm getting the ol' 'limited or no connectivity' message whenever it tries aquiring an ip. so still no wireless conn to internet from pc to router.

already tried flushing dns and usual reset stuff-aswell as router- but to no avail.
router setting?
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) try to use WPA rather than WEP - its far more secure. And preferably WPA 2 if that 360 will take it...
2) I think your problem will be with the way the WEP is set up. By default a WEP conenction on a PC configures to "open" while many routers default to "shared". Result is that the two can't handshake, even though the password is correct. You need to change one or the other - easiest is to edit the network setting on the PC for that wireless connection under the "advanced" tab. Once you change from "open" to "shared" then you'll also have to reinput the password again
However, to get back to my original point, all this becomes irrelevant if you use WPA. WPA simply "works" without needing to mess around like this
jon123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to try may be to manually configure the IP on the PC. Depending on the version of Windows, this is set in different ways. If you do a Google search for "Manually configure IP Windows XX" it should show you step by step Smile

I hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: