Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Laptop

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: New Laptop Reply with quote

I wonder if someone can give me some advice on buying a new laptop? I'll be buying it from the UK, but I want one that has an international warranty on it, as I will be using it mainly in India, but also in the UK a bit.

This will be the only PC I use, so it will need to be powerful enough to deal with everything. I don't play games, or do anything overly intensive with my PC, but I will be using the internet, MS Office, photo editing, and playing MP3s. I will also need a DVD writer as I will need to transfer quite a bit of data.

I've heard both good and bad reports about Vista, but I think I will take the plunge and get it. It is the future after all, and I want to keep my new laptop for quite a while. I've looked at Vista, and there are several different versions, how do I know what is best for me?

Any advice would be appreciated. My budget is 500, but I can probably stretch a little over if necessary. Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always recommend Acer laptops, they offer well built, feature packed laptops for a reasonable price, and they come with a 1 year international warranty - this can be upgraded to 3 years if you pay extra. Other brands that come with an international warranty will cost you significantly more.

Processor wise, I prefer Intel for laptops, and AMD for desktops. Intel make better, cooler, less power hungry mobile processors than AMD. AMD however make equally good desktop processors for less money. At the end of the day it's up to you which you go for, in your price range, I'd be looking at an Intel Core2Duo.

Windows Vista comes in several flavours, I'd recommend Vista Home Premium, it offers a good balance of features and is included on most systems in your price range.

If you do get a Windows Vista PC, then look for a bare minimum of 1Gb of RAM, although I'd recommend 2Gb if the PC shares the RAM for graphics.

I have picked out 2 to recommend, one Intel, one AMD. I'd go for the Intel, it's a smaller screen, but it will give better performance:
Intel Acer Laptop
AMD Acer Laptop
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoftStag. That AMD one does look good, but I want a PC that is reliable more than anything. I think the Intel may be a better choice as you say. Mr. Green
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took your advice and went for the Intel Laptop you recommended! All I can say is WOW! It really rocks, this is one mean machine, and for less than 500! I think the days of the desktop are over! Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased you are happy with my recommendations.

{Topic locked}
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: