Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nusb31e.exe

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
PaulWin98SE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: nusb31e.exe Reply with quote

The universal usb flash driver program was just what I was looking for.

But I didn't follow the instructions. (I did not uninstalled any flash dive drivers that were installed) And because I didn't trust it, I uninstalled some of its changes which I didn't think should have been made.

As it was installed, it works great.

My question is, how much of it is "all" Microsoft Software?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the files are Microsoft files. The inf file is modified to allow the devices to be recognised.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
PaulWin98SE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install loaded what appeard to be a newer version of Explorer.exe. Since I didn't know that it was a microsoft upgrade, I restored the Windows 98SE version that came with it. Ran sfc to sort out the changes. Kept some (kepted the files which were unique to the install) and restored others.

Flash drives, such as by Kingston (which no longer supports Windows 98SE with their newer flash drives), it would seem, can be used with it. (I had installed the the Kingston Windows 98SE driver set, too.)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a newer version of Explorer.exe is installed with this update. It is recommended to keep this version.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
PaulWin98SE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions.

Currently, new flash drives work on my system just fine, as it is, with the "broken" install.

I suppose I can just re-run the original file.

How important is the Version 3.1.1 English Update nusb311e_upd.exe?

Or should I op to install nusb33e.exe instead?

It is my inclination, at this point to do nothing more until there is a problem.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's working. I'd be inclined to leave it. However if you want to update, then just install the latest version (nusb33e.exe).
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: