Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nusb31f doesn't work correctly

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Zomby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: nusb31f doesn't work correctly Reply with quote

I have installed the nusb31f mass storage driver on my son's Windows 98 SE computer but whenever he tries to plug in his MP3 player, it gets detected, the drivers installs but can't initialize, apparenly because NTKERN.VXD loader as unable to load the driver. (Something close to that anyway, translated to the best of my ability as it's a french language Windows.)

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you reading the error from? Do you get a window opening when the MP3 player is connected, or are you looking in device manager?

If you can give the exact error message as you read it (in French) it may help. My French is extremely poor, but still it may help!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Zomby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking at the device manager, a new device appears when then player is plugged in, called "Périphérique de stockage de masse USB" (USB Mass Storage Device) with a yellow exclamation mark against it.

When looking at the properties, the following status is indicated: "Le ou les chargeurs de périphérique NTKERN.VXD de ce périphérique n'ont pas pu charger le pilote du périphérique. (Code 2.)", wich is then followed by the driver update button.

I believe the correct translation is "The Ntkern.vxd device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)"
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing the following:
Arrow Browse to c:\windows\system32\drivers in Windows Explorer
Arrow Find the following files and rename them so you change their file extensions from .sys to .old
• Uhcd.sys
• Usbhub.sys
• Usbd.sys
Arrow Insert the Microsoft Windows 98 CD-ROM into the drive
Arrow Click Start, and then click Run
Arrow Type sfc, and then click OK
Arrow In the System File Checker window, click Extract one file from the installation disk
Arrow In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type uhcd.sys, and then click Start
Arrow In the Restore From box, type X:\Win98 changing X for the letter of your CD drive
Arrow In the Save file in box, type c:\windows\system32\drivers
Arrow Click OK, and then click OK again
Arrow When Windows finishes restoring the file, click OK
Arrow Repeat the previous 6 steps to restore Usbhub.sys and Usbd.sys. When you finish restoring the files, click Close
Arrow Restart the computer, and try inserting the MP3 player again
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Zomby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried renaming the files and extracting the ones from the Windows 98 CD, then rebooting. Unfortunately I get the same behavior as before.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like the MP3 player isn't compatible with the drivers. What make is is?

One more thing you can try is using the System File Checker again to extract NTKERN.VXD to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32

You will not be able to rename the file before doing this.
Zomby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MP3 player is some generic Hong-Kong made player I got off eBay. I also tried an old 32mb Kingston memory key and I get the same result.

I also tried replacing the NTKERN.VXD in both the SYSTEM and VMM32 directories but it didn't help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what more to suggest. It could be that there is a problem with the windows installation. Short of reinstalling Windows, I'm out of ideas.

Do any other USB devices work? Printer etc.
WilliamLeme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is interesting
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: