Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oc errors and blue screens again!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: oc errors and blue screens again! Reply with quote

hello guys, merry xmas to you all Very Happy
I am having trouble with my computer again, the bios is screwed up and the computer wont start unless its in safe mode, and we are getting blue screens, the latest one stating "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" whatever that means????? Any suggestions as to what we need to do to rectify this problem once and for all as its been going on for nearly a year now, and everytime its repaired, it returns about two months later. One thing I have noticed is when the startup screen comes up, the "NVidia configures" line has disappeared, dont know what this represents. I am wondering if we will have to wipe the whole harddrive and start from scratch???
we are running windows XP home, with broadband connection, please let me know what other details you need and I will get them to you, as long as I can boot up the computer!!! Laughing
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, we have used bios defaults to get into the safe mode, but it doesnt really help for a time, and also another suggestion was to change the AGP aperture size, could you tell me how and where this is done??? thankyou!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AGP aperture size is set in the BIOS, but without knowing exactly what BIOS your system has it's not possible to let you know exactly how to do this - have a look around the BIOS setup to see if you can find it.

It sounds like formating the PC and installing a frsh copy of Windows may help, although BSoDs are often caused by hardware faults which of course will require the faulty hardware to be replaced.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, how do I go about finding the faulty hardware? I have no idea whats causing it. At the moment everytime we turn the computer on, it shuts itself off and restarts a few times, and sometimes stops on a black screen. A few times we have had to leave it for a few hours before it will boot back up....
the last error screen had "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably best asking a shop to have a look at it. It could be one of several things that is faulty, and unless you happen to have a load of spare compatible PC parts it could get expensive replacing things until you find the right one.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
kerrikennel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, will do, I just hope they can work it out! last time they said it MAY be the graphics card, but after updating it, here we are again!!! its a bit like a woman in a garage, the mechanics take advantage of ya cos you dont understand what theyre talking about!!! ha ha!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
thanks for the help
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: