Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Office 2007 - problems with saving docs.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
spacecadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Office 2007 - problems with saving docs. Reply with quote

[Using Windows Vista OS]

I'm guessing this is something simple that i'm not doing, but...

I saved my CV in 1997-2003 format so others can open it when i email it to them. But everytime i make an edit it tells me to try the save again and insists on making me name it again each time.

Does anyone know what's happening here?? And how i can save myself this hassle?

Must i manually change the format of other docs on my pc each time, if i think i'm going to email them to a Office 2003 user?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the file is possibly read only, so you cannot save over the top of it. Not sure why this would be, are you saving to a hard drive or other device?

Also, what do you have on the Save tab in Options in Word?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
spacecadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. All my docs are on an external hard drive - i recently transferred them off the old pc. They're all 97-2003 format - including my CV - and i have Word 2007 on the new laptop.

I hadn't made any of my docs read-only and when i go to edit my CV sometimes i just edit and save, no problems. But other times i get either:

"Word cannot find the file" and one or two more dialogue boxes to tell me that there must be a problem with my hard drive. I am unable to save the doc after this [Save and Save As options aren't available to me] and i've ended up losing the doc.. (copied first though so not completely lost)

Or..

"Word cannot save this file because of a permission error" [I click OK] then..
"Would you like to try to resave?" [I have to rename because it's since turned into a temp file]

I've tried seeing the patterns here but really i have no idea what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you copy the files on to your PC's internal hard drive (C:) do you get the same problems?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine

Last edited by SoftStag on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacecadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Office 2007 - problems with resaving old Word docs Reply with quote

It's not happening every time though, and interestingly i don't have problems resaving Excel docs (created in Excel 2003) when i edit them, it's only the Word ones, and then only sometimes. This would imply it's not the hard drive??

Could it have anything to do with where i got my copy of Office 2007 maybe?

If anyone has a number i can call for Microsoft support that would be great. I googled it, but can only find one charging me 46 for each request !!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: