Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening 'odt' files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Opening 'odt' files Reply with quote

Hello,

Prior to switching info. to a newer computer, I put all my documents/folders, etc. onto discs.

On my newer computer I can open most of them. However, there are some odt documents that won't open. I get the 'File Conversion' window and it has my document written in jibberish and or japanese. Are these documents gone for good? Sad

And what IS 'odt'??? How do I make these documents open in regular old Word?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Open Office Reply with quote

.odt files are Open Office files. You will need Open Office installed to open them as MS Word does not recognise these file types.

Open Office is a free open source office suite with similar functionality to MS Office. You probably had this installed on your old computer.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I do have Open Office on the newer computer, that's the funny thing.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you opening them with Open Office? Word is a Microsoft product, not part of Open Office.

Do these files still open on your old PC?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I tried opening it with Open Office but...I'm not sure I understand how to do it.

My old computer isn't set up. I also have Open Office on my laptop. Could you offer a step-by-step for opening the odt documents?

I really miss Win98 Wink
Win2000 is new to me (and not as easy to use, imo)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Writer from the Start menu, then click on File and Open. Select the file you want and click Open. This should open the file.
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS,

Yeah, I tried that LOL

When I open Open Office I search for the name of the document and it won't show up anywhere. I had it on my desktop but 'no show'. I put it in My Documents and it didn't show up there, either. It's like it's invisible to Open Office.

I'm perplexed.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where it says 'open files of type' when you are looking for the file, make sure that is set to the one for .odt
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Okay, figured out I had to choose something under "file". DOH!
But when the document opened I still got the 'file conversion' window and it was in jibberish/japanese.

Confused
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the file is corrupt then, or you could be using an older version of Open Office than the file was created in.
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crud. I guess I should hook up my old computer and see if I can retrieve the documents there?

How come some documents automatically save in odt when I want it in Word? For example, if I tried to choose how I wanted it saved txt for example, it wouldn't let me. So I just let it save in odt thinking I'd be okay.

RE: my old computer Is it worth selling on craigslist or should I just bash the hard drive (for identity protection) and recycle ithe whole thing? It's about 9 years old. It worked fine I just wanted something faster. I still have all the original software discs. Or should I donate it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different formats have different limitations. For example a text file is just that, it contains text but no formatting, fonts, pictures or anything to make it look like you want it. ODT is the default wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) format for Open Office.

Your old computer will be worthless, I doubt you would get 1 for it. People simply don't want PCs that old. You can consider donating it to charity, here is a list of charities and companies that will reuse your PC:
http://www.itforcharities.co.uk/pcs.htm
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: