Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

optical media
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: optical media Reply with quote

I notice that some optical media (both pressed and burned CDs) had formed clouds on the data side of the disc. All these discs can be read properly except one. Is there an explanation on how did the cloud get there in the first place?

Which DVD rewritable disc do you recommend for long term storage? What are the charecterictics of a good quality disc, and also which of the DVD format is better, the + or - ?

Thank You.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clouding is probably due to environmental factors affecting the disk - heat, light, humidity etc. Disks should be stored in a cool, dry, dark environment for optimal longevity.

I wouldn't store on a rewriteable disk for long term storage, use a write-once disk as these tend to be more reliable. DVD+R is more reliable than DVD-R (it is newer technology also).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any brand which is high on your list?
i've bought some HP DVD+R recently with lifetime warranty, can these be relied? they're made in Taiwan, most likely by a subcontractor.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony or Maxell are generally good. HP should be fine also, although I have never used them. Read the small print about what the lifetime warranty is - often they state that 5 years or something is considered to be a reasonable lifetime for a disk, or just specify that it is guaranteed for the lifetime of the disk - once it is faulty it's lifetime is up!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SoftStag"]The clouding is probably due to environmental factors affecting the disk - heat, light, humidity etc. Disks should be stored in a cool, dry, dark environment for optimal longevity.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
The clouding is probably due to environmental factors affecting the disk - heat, light, humidity etc. Disks should be stored in a cool, dry, dark environment for optimal longevity.

is clouding caused during the manufacturing of the disc rather than during storage? I store most of my discs in plastic sleeves and jewel cases in cabinets
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several theories about how it happens. I think the most plausible is that the disk is slightly defective from manufacture - caused by the glue that bonds the metal to the plastic. This does not show itself for some time, maybe years. Correct storage can reduce the formation of the clouding, but it is difficult to prove how much affect this can have. This does not just affect writeable media, but also original pressed disks such as music and DVD videos.

I think the only safe way to store data is to store 2 copies on different disks.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
There are several theories about how it happens. I think the most plausible is that the disk is slightly defective from manufacture - caused by the glue that bonds the metal to the plastic. This does not show itself for some time, maybe years. Correct storage can reduce the formation of the clouding, but it is difficult to prove how much affect this can have. This does not just affect writeable media, but also original pressed disks such as music and DVD videos.

I think the only safe way to store data is to store 2 copies on different disks.

For archive purposes, are DVDs really the best option? How about external HDDs or large flash drives?
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP DVD+R's I mentioned, they are listed as 16X on the disc and the packaging. Why does Nero CD-DVD speed list the discs as 8X only. The discs are made by CMC Taiwan.

Also, I could not run the disc quality test on the same program with the same discs, the start button is disabled, though I could run other tests.

I encountered the following message when conducting a benchmark test: positioning error detected by read medium (031502). What does it mean.
Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nero will check the disks to see what speed it thinks it can write to them. This is based on the disk and drive. Can your drive write 16x to DVD+R?

I don't think the quality test is supported by all drives.

That is a read error. I'm not sure of you are getting that from reading a source disk, or when writing. In either case the disk in question cannot be read, this could be either a problem with the disk, or the drive - try a different disk.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avextraxjp wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

For archive purposes, are DVDs really the best option? How about external HDDs or large flash drives?

SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No media is perfect. Hard drives can corrupt and get bad sectors, flash drives have a questionable lifespan. DVDs are as good a choice as any I think, and they are cheap for their capacity.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: