Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PARTITIONED HARD DRIVE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: PARTITIONED HARD DRIVE Reply with quote

Hello,

I currently have a 120GB hard drive which is partitioned (C & E). I didn't partition it as I don't have the know how but........I want to install a new 250GB hard drive for my operating system and everyday files etc and use my existing 120GB hard drive as a 2nd drive for storage only.

Firstly, how do I do all this without losing any files etc? And then, how do I get the 120GB hard drive back to being a drive without a partition?

I have looked in 'disk management', used the help files and failed to delete Drive E so that Drive C becomes one large drive again. Obviously I have done something wrong and some people would probably say that I should not be messing in disk management but I want to learn as my pc knowledge is very basic.

Anyone wishing to take up this challenge of guiding me through it would need to use layman's terms and have lots of patience lol

I hope someone can help!

Jav
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the following.
Arrow Install the new 250GB drive and load th OS on it. (Tip. Don't connect the second drive until you have installed the OS or you might find it putting your system partition on a drive other than C: which could cause you no end of pain)
Arrow Have the second drive in the machine as a slave and then boot into the newly installed OS.
Arrow You should then copy all your data that you want to keep onto the new drive, then delete all the partitions on the 120GB drive using Disk Management.
Arrow Then create a new partition that uses the whole drive and format it. Then copy your data onto the 120GB drive. (Another tip is that you can redirect your "My Documents" folder to the 120GB drive. Right click on your "My Documents" folder select properties. On the "Target" tab it will be pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name> Click move and then point it at a folder on your 120Gb drive, this way you can still use the "My Documents" shortcuts and be saving your docs on the second drive.)

Hope this helps. Very Happy
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Markb, I am hoping to do it over the weekend so I will report back with my progress. I'm just not sure about deleting partitions etc because I tried that last night and failed miserably.

Anyhow, if I have problems I will post again.

Many thanks

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Please bear with me as I cannot do this yet due to injuring my arm and it is currently in a sling. Will get to it as quickly as possible.

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have now done this (many thanks for your assistance), however, since installing the new larger hard drive, loading windows on it, formatting my 2nd hard drive and then re-installing all my drivers & programs etc I have encountered several problems and I'm not sure if I can get assistance from this thread or if I need to post a new thread.

I suppose someone will tell me if I need to post a new thread but here goes...........

PROBLEM 1
The pc is much slower starting up. I get the Windows XP Pro logo on a screen with a black background then it changes to another screen (light blue background with dark blue bands top & bottom of screen) saying windows is starting up but it takes ages before it finally gets to the user log on screen

PROBLEM 2
The Num Lock on my keyboard used to always be on after start up but isn't anymore. Not a major problem but I am so used to keying in my password immediately but now I have to get used to pressing the Num Lock button before entering my password to log on.

PROBLEM 3
During the re-installation of some of my programs I have got a blue error screen which says there has been a problem and it says 'dumping physical memory to disk'. The error message is as follows......

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBFACE0E6, 0x00000000)
*** ati3d2ag.dll - Address BFACE0E6 base at BFA09000, DateStamp 3edc0230

Can anybody resolve this problem?

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have an ATI graphics card. You should first try downloading the latest version of these drivers for it, remove the old drivers and install the new ones.

With regard to NumLock, try the following:
Arrow Click on Start then Run
Arrow Type in regedit32 and click OK
Arrow Browse to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
Arrow Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JavOK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,

Windows could not find Regedit32 but it could find Regedit so I tried that and the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators is already set at 2.

I have also noticed that when I go to Add or Remove Programs it is totally empty!

This pc appears extremely unstable so I think I should format the system disk but Im not sure how to format the C drive using XP Pro because when in disk management I have the option to format the F drive but not C

Can you please tell me how to format?

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
Have managed to format & re-install everything and it's running like a dream!

Still have the problem with Num Lock on keyboard if anyone can shed any light on it?

Many thanks once again for the advice

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE #2

I have now resolved the Num Lock issue as I thought I would try Softstag's suggestion again and this time the value was set at 0 so I changed it to 2 and hey presto!

I don't know how you guys store so much technical information but I think it's brilliant - keep up the good work!

Many thanks

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! Another problem has minifested........Last night, after being very happy with the performance of my pc, I could hear a noise coming from inside the pc and it sounded very much like a hard drive does when its booting up or closing down (a loud click).

I have just turned on my pc and realised that my 2nd hard drive is not being recognised in 'my computer'. Looked in device manager & its not there either nor in disk management - its totally disappeared. The weird thing is I've already lost a hard drive recently with everything else thats being going on and the one that has replaced it has now disappeared.

Could it be the ide cable? If so, why is my system disk still working fine as it's connected on the same ide cable?

Please help!

Jav
JavOK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is really weird.........I've been out for a couple of hours, switched my pc on and the missing hard drive has now reappeared.

Does anyone know what's going on???

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you could hear noise suggests that the drive may be failing. I would suggest you back it up immediately.

You should also check the IDE and power cables as they may not be making a good connection. If this makes no difference you may need to replace the hard drive.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: