Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC crash / restore problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: PC crash / restore problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not particularly advanced with computers so i apologise if my terminology/explanation seems a bit basic! I am currently writing up a dissertation and although some of my work is backed up- some of it is on my pc - sony vaio VGC-V3M which has recently died. Therefore I really want to get that data back rather than going straight to a complete factory setting restore (all files saved on c drive - rather than d which i now realise was stupid).

About a week ago I had a security breech on facebook and got given a virus which was identified as w32/koobface.worm and a trojan. The symtoms were only mild and internet explorer would work but jump to other random addresses on its own - which was tolerable!

When explorer stopped working I restored the pc to a previous date(i think this is a soft re-set?) which worked initially. Explorer then offered an update to explorer 8 beta 2 - whilst this was downloading it froze.

I manually restarted but now once windows has opened it freezes and will not me do anything. I can get into the bios utility setting menu when it firsts boots up but I don't really know what I'm doing in there so I don't want to make things any worse - if thats possible!

The other thing to mention is that when windows open the black box(ms-dos??) that opens flashes a message very quickly which I think says something about the memory being full. This would seem to make sense as its almost as thought the processor can't work because it has no power left.

If there is anything I could try I would be most grateful.

I have a laptop and have downloaded a copy of the recovery disc to use for the vaio but my understanding is that if I do this everything in the c drive will be lost - hence I haven't yet tried this.

Are there any other options - and would it be worth taking it to someone else? I have looked on-line for home user telephone support but I can't find anyone.

Any suggestions?

thanks Crying or Very sad Wink
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forums.

You have done the right thing in seeking advice before doing anything that might delete the precious data on your PC.

Before we do anything else, we need a little more information from you. Can you confirm you are using Windows XP, if not what version are you using. Also, can you see if you can get in to Safe Mode. This is a basic version of Windows and will hopefully allow us to get things working again.

Can you also let me know if you connect this computer to a network at all - even if it just a home network to connect to the internet. If you are not sure, please try to explain how you normally connect to the internet.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for getting back - I was starting to pull my hair out! The system is Windows XP.

Normally I connect to the internet using a wireless USB. I have removed this and tried putting in another USB just to se what happens and it seems to register it is there but doesn't get much further before freezing on my windows home page.

I have tried to get into safe mode but using F8 seems to take me into BIOS and offers me boot up options only - DVD RW and another PCIA? I think. I can get into the regular BIOS settings menu but that seems about it.

There is definately a DOS box opening when it boots up - but this disappears very quickly - sometimes it says program too big for memory, is this explorer 8 perhaps? There was no warning when I was downloading yesterday that the memory was at capacity if this message is true.

Still stuck Question
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just re-checked and trying to get into safe mode only gets me into BIOS and asks for a boot device;

PM-WDC WD2500BB-98GUCO
SM-SONY DVD RW DW-D56a

Confused
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your BIOS uses F8 to select the boot device. Select to boot from PM-WDC WD2500BB-98GUCO then continue tapping F8, hopefully then you will get the menu to select Safe Mode.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be letting me into safe mode - are there any other options?
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - tried again and it worked so now I have lots of options;

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
start windows normally
reboot
return to OS choices menu

Can you give me some direction from here please! thanks Wink
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Use the cursor keys to highlight Safe Mode and press Enter - this will load up a diagnostics version of Windows that may look a little odd, and may take a while to boot.
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into safe mode now - I've looked on microsoft but I don't really know what to do now?

I'm backing up files which I want, and I've uninstalled some programmes - should I try a clean reboot?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's good we've got in to Safe Mode, that means all is not lost!

Where are you backing up your files to?
Sarah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've backed it all up to external memory drive separate from pc so should be safe!

Basically I'm now happy to do whatever it takes to get it working - even if i have to reinstall programs afterwards if they're wiped off in the process.

I'm just looking at a windows restore options and was going to give that a go first before going to factory settings which I guess will clear the lot?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's great. Often memory drives don't work in Safe Mode.

Windows System Restore is unlikely to fix your PC. Running the factory reset will wipe everything and set it back to how it was when new - this is the easiest option. If you want to spend some time trying to fix what's there, we can try that. If so, from another PC download HijackThis, copy it to this computer and run it in Safe Mode, then post the log - instructions can be found here.

Note, I'm not going to be around much longer today, but will look in to your logs tomorrow. It takes some time to do this, so please don't expect quick responses!!! Smile
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: