Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pc crashing but works fine in safe mode...

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Tinso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: pc crashing but works fine in safe mode... Reply with quote

Right, about a month ago, I noticed that my Google Chrome started crashing frequently after I watched videos on it. I checked for solutions and could not find any so I just thought I'd live with it.

Now,I recently installed illegitimate copies of Microsoft Office 2007 and Cubase 5. I tweaked the registry a bit on the MS2007 install with the instructions as below...

Instructions:
AFTER YOU INSTALL OFFICE 2007 ENTERPRISE:
Double-click on the registry entity (office.reg) and click yes or ok. You're done, Office 2007 is genuine.

DO NOT use this registry key until you have installed Office 2007 Enterprise.
I do not know what could happen if you do not listen to this warning!

What it does:
This entitiy will overwrite the invalid Office 2007 Registry on your computer with a valid entity. In effect, it removes the invalid key caused by using a "fake" CD key to install it and replaces it with a clean, Genuine Office Registry entity. This registry does not affect anything other than the Office 2007 key, so don't worry about your computer being messed up.

In my case, I accidentally tweaked the registry BEFORE the install. My PC was working fine for well over a week but then it started crashing, and mainly, my programs stop responding. I'm not sure whether it's the problem which made Chrome crash, or downloading MS 2007 or Cubase.

I've tried virus scan, but nothing detected, and system restore but the earliest it took me to was 10/01/2011, when I'd already started having the problems. Running the PC in Safe Mode is, however, fine.

Is there anything anyone suggests I do in order to solve this problem? Thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you install bootleg software you are opening yourself to all kinds of problems, either due to malware infestation, or hacked incompatible file variants
I've no way of knowing exactly whats wrong in your case, but given the origin of the software I'd assume at least a rootkit, with probably more.

I've one suggestion: wipe the machine and start again with legitimate software. If you install bootleg stuff you WILL get problems.
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS to the above - I just checked the MS retail download servers, and while the other versions of Office 2007 can still be downloaded from them, the Enterprise version cannot: the link is dead.
Therefore theres a good chance that the file you downloaded is a contaminated version as it won't have come directly from MS (you can download the others without any serious restriction: you just need a product key to activate them)
I also checked the origins of the reg hack you used, and while I have found a "clean" version of the ZIP file which does not appear to carry a virus, I have found some on torrent sites which do. Of course, the actual reg file itself may create an instability through a registry change.
Tinso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'll have to re-install Vista then. One more question: does the fact that the PC still works in 'Safe Mode', where only critical drivers are used, mean that the problem lies within the drivers?
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't
Its not unusual for a physically faulty machine to boot into safe, but not normal mode.
For instance, faulty graphics cards can handle the restricted demands of "safe mode" but fail when required to work normally. Same can apply to almost any part of the machine

However given the history of your machine, I'd consider it more likely that you have malware on the machine, the effect of which is more noticeable when the machine is running more heavily loaded in "real" mode. The malware could be interfacing with the network, it may not even be loading in "safe". Its very very hard to diagnose this kind of problem over a forum. But, given the bootleg history the safest option is to nuke it and reload.
That way, of it still errors afterwards then you know you have a hardware problem
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: