Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC doesn't beep on startup & won't boot.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Tetengo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: PC doesn't beep on startup & won't boot. Reply with quote

Hi there, hope someone can help me. I've tried searching on here but can't find anything so:

A few months ago my pc kept freezing when playing games so I figured I have a problem with my graphics card, but I turned the games down to low graphics settings & everything seemed to be fine.

Recently got starcraft 2, same thing happened, turned it to the lowest of the low & it worked for a time. Then it started to do it completely at random, high or low graphics but still only when gaming.

When I say it froze I mean it literally, it would freeze & do absolutely nothing, only way to fix it would be to hold the power button down. Issue with that was it wouldn't boot up immediately after turning it off, I would have to try maybe 3 or 4 times before it would beep & function normally.

Anyway, last time it froze I held down the power button as usual, it went off & now it won't come back on. It all sounds fine but there's no beep, & nothing on screen.

I assume I need a new graphics card but I haven't really got much of a clue about computer hardware so before I spend money on a new one I was wondering if there's anything else it might be, & if anyone had any ideas on what I might try to fix it.

I'm running windows 7, but couldn't really tell you a lot about my specs, it's quad core & has 4gb RAM but that's all I know. As I said, haven't really got a clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it could quite well be the graphics card
but equally, it could be:
failed motherboard
loose memory
failed PSU
loose or faulty expansion card
something plugged in could be causing a short (eg USB device, mouse, keyboard, router)
or the machine could be so stuffed full of dirt and dust that its overheated and failed - in which case anything could have failed

You can gamble on a new graphics card and see what happens. But really what is required is a systematic strip down of the machine, followed by a step-by-step rebuild, swapping out bad parts as they are found
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reset your PC first now.

Reseat CPU, (some people preferred not to due to the possiblity of bending the CPU pins), from our past PC repair experience, reseat CPU is necessay and we do have got many PC working again.

Unplug and reseat the PSU connectors to the mainboard

reseat the VGA and use 1 working RAM.

unplug and reseat the HDD data cable on the mobo as well.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't be a loose CPU
an overheating CPU maybe due to dirt / dust in the fan, but not a loose one.
Reseating it is a fools errand
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: