Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC driving me nuts!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jlimbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: PC driving me nuts!!! Reply with quote

My PC has had problems for a while with the occasional bsod. As most of the error mssages seemed to point to memory, I changed DIMMS around and it seemed to settle down. For the past week or so bsod seems to be the default display. I'm getting quite a variety of messages with it for APC mismatches, ntfs.sys, win32.sys, memory management, execution of critical code and pfn list corrupt. I've changed the hard drive and started with a fresh windows install(Vista Ultimate x64 SP1) but to no avail. The current state of play is that I can only get my PC up once a day and it blue screens after a maximun of 5 mins and then continues to blue screen during startup, usually when the vista loading bar is showing, though sometimes it tries to lull me into a false sense of security by waiting till the login screen. This even happens when i try to boot into safe mode.

The strangest thing about all of this is the fact that the same symptoms were present a year ago, since when ever component except the case and power supply have been replaced

Can someone out there make me very happy by telling me wtf is wrong with my computer

With many thanks
John
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can someone out there make me very happy by telling me wtf is wrong with my computer
Yes its your PSU, an inadequate or faulty PSU will cause BSOD and many error messages
Quote:
Yes, the psu could be and most likely is causing your BSOD's and any spontaneous reboots you may have experienced
good way to pin point a bad PSU is use a volt meter.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSUs are the most frequent component to be ignored. It is essential that you have have an adequately rated PSU, and preferably one of good quality. An unstable or underpowered PSU can give a verity of errors and problems that are very difficult to diagnose.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had a machine that very occassionally used to BSOD on me. I could hear the relay going when it did it so assumed it was the PSU. New PSU did indeed sort the problem out.
jlimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Installed new power supply, but still got some issues. When I was connecting everything up I accidentally pulled some cable out (including the power switch front panel cable) which caused some problems. I've got everything connected again and I got the machine to boot to the point that it ran dick check, but hung 62% through. I hit the reset button and got repeated bsod. checked cables were connected properly and tried again. Now the power comes on, but nothing on screen and you just hear the optical drive whirr every 5 secs or so

Any ideas
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the components and cables are properly seated, and also double check that you have the cables connected correctly for the power/reset switches and the power/hdd lights.

Also, what is the spec of your system and what PSU have you installed?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jlimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the cables, all correctly connected

New PSU is Silverstone ST85ZF 850W

Spec -

Phenom 9850
8Gb PC2-8500
Saphire Radeon 3870
Hitachi 160Gb HDD
Creative SB X-Fatal1ty
MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hope you don't mind me butting in but as Windows was set to do a chkdisc windows has stopped the full boot so try tapping F8 at power on to go to Windows Advanced Options Menu and go to last known good config - hit Enter/Return.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PC driving me nuts!!! Reply with quote

The PSU should be sufficient for the setup you have. I don't think it's certified for your graphics card, but that shouldn't be an issue. I assume you have the PSU connected to the graphics card?

jlimbo wrote:
The strangest thing about all of this is the fact that the same symptoms were present a year ago, since when ever component except the case and power supply have been replaced

Have you tried a format and reinstall? If you still have the same installation of Windows as when you had a different motherboard, then you may run in to problems.

I have to go out now, so won't be able to get back to you until the morning...
jlimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt away

Its not getting far enough, I'm not even getting the Mobo splash screen or POST
jlimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only hardware change since windows intall is the psu
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try moving the monitor cable to the Motherboard output just to see what you get on screen.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: