Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC will not shut down

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Wymott2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: PC will not shut down Reply with quote

Hi, My PC has started re-booting when I use the power switch to turn it off. I disabled the setting for re-boot on error, and disabled Sleep & Hibernation.
The only way to shut down completely is to use the switch on the rear of the PSU
Has anyone any ideas ?

Thanks in anticipation.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using the power button on the front, what happens if you try to shut down via the Start menu?

Can you also let us know what version of Windows you are using?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Wymott2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. OS = Windows XP Home SP3. Got fed up using the Start Button 'cause it 'shut down' and within 5 seconds re-booted! The only way to stop it is to switch off at the mains or on the PSU itself
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loading the BIOS defaults, to see if that makes any difference.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Wymott2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Try loading the BIOS defaults, to see if that makes any difference.

Gave that a try, no change Sad
Going to try changing the PSU see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may do. Let us know how you get on.
Wymott2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: PC not shut down Reply with quote

Hi
Changed the PSU, no difference Sad
Running out of ideas!
When shutting down, either from the on-screen Start button or holding in the physical button on the case, the system shuts down for about 6 seconds, then springs back into life.
All XP settings are set to shutdown, not standby or hibernation, and the 'Restart on Errors' box is un-ticked. The BIOS is set to defaults.
about the only thing I can think of now is that there is a 'short' somewhere, maybe in the physical button - clutching at starts really Confused
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you seem happy and confident to open your PC up, try removing the connection from the power button on the motherboard. you can turn it on by shorting the pins briefly and the see what happens when it shuts down. Also try it without any network cable connected. Long shot, but there are ways of starting some PCs up via a packet sent over the network. You could also try to download a live CD of a Linux distro like Ubuntu. This will boot from a CD and load a linux OS running from the CD rather than the Hard drive. If you chose to shutdown you can see if the PC responds to a shutdown and power off command and if it doesn't you can eliminate a problem with the XP OS. If it still keeps restarting, I would suspect some kind of motherboard fault.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: