Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCI slots problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
petkov

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: PCI slots problem Reply with quote

I have this strange problem. The mainboard of my older computer is intel 440 BX (I know it's very old Very Happy ). It has 4 PCI slots. Two of the slots are used by sound card and TV tuner card. When I put third PCI device - LAN card no matter in which of the two remaining slots my computer doesn't start at all. Any suggestions? Thank you

The mainboard also has an AGP slot used by the video card, but I don't know if it's related with the problem somehow.
________
Herbal vaporizers

Last edited by petkov on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
street1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an IRQ Conflict. Which Windows operating system
are you using?

How are the IRQ's assigned in your BIOS?

The Interrupt Request is assigned to PCI cards by the BIOS. This IRQ value must then be communicated to the operating system. In order for a device to share.
The Forum King.
petkov

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I'm using Windows 98 SE operating system. The IRQ's are assigned automatically in the BIOS, and when the computer is booting there's a list of the PCI devices from which I can see the IRQ's values. They are the same as the one in Windows. When I set the assignment of the IRQ's to manual for every IRQ there are two options: PCI/PnP ISA and Legacy ISA. The interesting thing is that the display controller uses the same IRQ as the Multimedia controller but there are no conflicts reported between them. I guess that is because the devices use different slots - AGP and PCI. In BIOS there is an option to enable or disable assignment of IRQ to USB controller. It's enabled, maybe that matters. I still don't know how to solve my problem. By the way I'd like to learn more about the IRQ, and I'd be very glad if you can direct me to any sources of general information about the IRQ, Thank you
________
Gm-6-speed automatic transmission

Last edited by petkov on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aerials

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an adpater

click here
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What LAN adapter are you trying to put in? Some older ones had fixed (or manually changeable) resources, if this is the case they could be conflicting with something else.

Information on IRQs
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: