Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Persistent bluescreen error
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
stufarq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Persistent bluescreen error Reply with quote

I have a bluescreen error that I haven't been able to resolve.

I'm running a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP3.

Initially when I turned on the PC, Windows did load and I had an active mouse pointer but all programs were unresponsive. The start menu would respond about 5 minutes after I'd clicked it but nothing else responded at all.

After rebooting a couple of times I tried to boot from the Windows CDROM. It seemed to load at first but then gave me the bluescreen, which has appeared every time I've restarted since.

I've tried using recovery console and booting in safe mode but nothing works and I therefore can't download any help tools or use any other programs to help or delete anything to free up space because the computer won't start in the first place. (I'm typing this from a different PC.)

There is no actual description of the error on the bluescreen but the stop codes are:

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF849C2B2, 0xF894F4A0, 0xF8494F1A0)
FLTMGR:SYS - Address F849C2B2 base at F8484000, Datestamp 486251da

Can anyone help? I'd be grateful for any assistance at all, especially if it will save me from having to pay helpline fees that I can't afford!

Thanks in advance.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lot of information about this one on the 'web, and it seems to be a filter for the file system. That pretty much points toward a corrupt or faulty hard drive. It COULD be a virus, but the fact you still get the error when booting from the Windows setup CD indicates otherwise

I think the first thing to try is to identify the hard drive manufacturer, then download the relevant bootable diagnostic CD for that drive, and then run a full set of diagnostic tests on the drive
If you post again with the make of drive we can probably point you in the right direction for the download

Last edited by JonS on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
stufarq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I'll check the manufacturer and get back to you.

I agree that it's unlikely to be a virus purely because I have quite a lot of decent protection, although I know that things can still get past.

If there's a lot about it on the web, does that mean that it's a common problem? And is there a good chance of my at least being able to retrieve the info from the HD even if it ends up having to be replaced?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have data on the drive that is important, I would look at backing it up asap to an external hard drive. If you can download and burn a copy of Ubuntu Live CD (or similar) on another PC, you should be able to boot in to this Operating System and attempt to copy the files to another drive.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I prefer to do that kind of thing using a VistaPE disk - its just that bit easier to get your head round if you're not a regular user of Linux
When I do have to use a Linux CD I prefer Knoppix - but I guess its really all a case of what you're used to

Now what you have to do is get your live CD, boot with it and see if you can read the hard drive. If you can, then copy the data off BEFORE you try any drive repairs. Once thats safely copied, then you can try a diagnostic check or file system repair. What you have to remember is that the actual act of trying to scan / repair the disk may in itself destroy the data you want to keep
However if you can't read the drive, then you're going to have to try the diagnostic disk - and hope
stufarq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard drive is a Hitachi HDT725032VLAT80

JonS wrote:
personally I prefer to do that kind of thing using a VistaPE disk

Even when my OS is XP?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter. The idea is that you are running an operating system independent of the one installed on the hard drive to access the data that is on there.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softstag - you've misunderstood

I suggested he run the drive manufacturers' diagnostic / repair tool in an attempt to diagnose the problem
This drive is an Hitachi, and the correct tool is the "Drive Fitness Test" on
http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Download the CD image, burn it to CD, boot with it in the drive (you may need to change BIOS settings) and then run the test
If the drive is u/s it should tell you. It the data is simply scrambled then it may fix it. I'd normally say try booting with a windows CD and running CHKDSK /R first, but as you've had problem trying that this seems the next thing to try
stufarq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
Softstag - you've misunderstood

No, I think he's understood my question. I was asking if I should use VistaPE when my OS is XP but that's because I didn't know about live CDs. I understand now. Thanks both for the explanations and the downloads. I'll be able to try some of it tonight although I haven't got a second HD yet so i probably won't be able to do any backing up until that's sorted (unless it'll let me burn some to data DVDs). I'll let you know how I get on.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - sorry, I misunderstood
stufarq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried Ubuntu - seems okay and all my data seems to be there.

It's occurred to me that I'm going to have to get hold of a second hard drive for the backup even it turns out that my existing HD is fine. Is there an alternative that won't end up with a possibly needless expense?
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the size of the data
Pen drive maybe?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: