Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please advise me, can I get a text-only pc, no images?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
skylight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Please advise me, can I get a text-only pc, no images? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I asked the place where a bought my last pc from (they recycle used pc's, fix them up and resell them) if they could create a pc that only displays text, NO IMAGES at all. They said it could not be done, but I just can't believe there is no solution here. I am wondering if it is possible. By the way, I don't want there to be any way that I could easily change it back again - I want it to be difficult enough (involving pulling apart the computer) so as to be not worth the effort. IE, I do not want to be able to go into settings and get images back; I want it to involve getting a technician in to do it, so I won't be tempted to.

Thanks for reading

skylight.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's possible. Although I'm not sure why you would want to.

Install a basic version of a Linux OS without a GUI desktop (minimal version of Debian for example), install Lynx web browser on it. You'll never see anything but text, and don't expect to use your mouse, everything is done by typing at the command line. This can be run on the most basic of systems.

This is the forum front page viewed in Lynx on a Debian server I have:

"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
skylight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Of course it's possible. Although I'm not sure why you would want to.

Install a basic version of a Linux OS without a GUI desktop (minimal version of Debian for example), install Lynx web browser on it. You'll never see anything but text, and don't expect to use your mouse, everything is done by typing at the command line. This can be run on the most basic of systems.

This is the forum front page viewed in Lynx on a Debian server I have:

Thanks softstag for your informative reply. I must admit that if it is going to look like that - I mean, black background with bright, flouro letters to read - I might have to find another solution.

The reason is simple - I spend far too much time on the net, and I have tried everything to cut down, but it's too hard. I know that if the experience was strictly limited to gathering the information I need (ie, textual) I would not end up spending hours and hours on end on it.

thanks again I will have a look at that web browser

sl.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is really going to produce a browser that looks nice, but won't show graphics. You're either going to have to for a fully functional browser or something that's paired down to the bone like Lynx. Images have been an integral part of the internet experience for the majority of it's existence.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: